Good places to shop for projectors in the Greater Vancouver area?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PeterMano, Jul 4, 2004.

1. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

I live in the greater Vancouver area, Canada, btw and was curious if there were any good a/v stores where I could see some front projection units set up properly. So far, the only store I've been to has been A&B Sound, and I'm not impressed with them.

Right now, as a canadian, I'm finding that a lot of options open to americans seem to be unavailable here. I've found no canadian online dealers carrying the Infocus Screenplay series. Also the panny LT500U or AE-500 model is carrying a severe premium in Canada.

The only model I currently have interest in is the Sanyo PLV-Z2, which seems to be widely available from several online canadian dealers at competitive prices. $2600 can including shipping and handling.

I would appreciate suggestions as to other comparably featured projectors and other shopping avenues I might pursue.

Thanks in advance.

2. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/lcd_...df/PJTX100.pdf

the PJTX100 will be available in late-July. Hitachi Canada's msrp is $3999.00

I'm also very fond of the PTAE500 from Panasonic, and have done well with it. But, as you said, it is relatively spendy here in Canada.

Aside from on-line and storefront dealers, have you considered a road-trip to Washington state?

*edit*

Oh, and if you can't find an InFocus dealer in Vancouver that you like, drop me an email. I can put you in touch with a reputable competitor here in town (not affiliated with me) who carries InFocus, and would probably be amenable to mail-order.

3. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

also, check tigerdirect.ca for the Panny 500 at comparable prices to the Z2.. i basically have given up trying to buy local.

craig

4. PeterMano

Craig, I've looked at tigerdirect.ca and their Panasonic LT-500U bundle looks attractive. I may try ordering a less expensive item from them, to see how their service is. One big concern of mine with tigerdirect.ca, is whether the panasonic would be warrantied in canada. They ship everything, according to them, from their warehouse in the U.S. I'd hate to have a unit I'd have difficulty returning and not be able to obtain warranty service in Canada.

Like you, getting stuff locally seems to be pointless.

I have now 6 canadian online retailers that I can draw upon. One good thing about shopping online is beating the BC government out of their 8% blood money.

Lee, thanks for the emails.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    nevermind, you mentioned saving on the PST [​IMG]

6. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

7. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Peter,

i have ordered many things from tigerdirect.ca and they have been great so far, everything arrived right and in a timely manner. you may want to check about the Panny 500, i thought i read somewhere that it was the US version which would mean you would have to ship to the States for service..

Craig

8. PeterMano

Thanks a bunch guys, I greatly appreciate all the info. I'll keep people abreast as to what I experience.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'll also point out that one of the biggest CRT resellers, Curt Palme, is right there in Vancouver. Certainly a much better option, IMO, then entry digitals, if you're up to it.

10. PeterMano

Stuff I've learned, which I though I'd pass on.

Forget about finding the infocus screenplay 4805 in Canada, there just doesn't seem to be anybody selling this line in the great white north. Infocus businsess projectors, sure, but not their home theater, screenplay line. Infocus apparently has a policy of not allowing internet sales on their screenplay line, although I've seen internet sales with the 4805 stateside, go figure. They apparently want their screenplay line sold by HT dealers where I assume the logic is, they would be able to show off the projectors properly. I get the feeling that the small canadian market just doesn't make it worthwhile for Infocus to bother with their screenplay line here.

However, there's an end-run option, which is more expensive, unfortunately. And that's to check out Knoll systems who essentially repackage the screenplay line under their own label as far as I can tell.

I called a local dealer in Vancouver, but they didn't seem interested in carrying the 4805 clone, dubbed the Knoll HD102. I didn't press them, but I would have to guess the fat profit margins aren't there with a far less expensive projector compared to the 5700 and 7200 screenplay clones they carry.

I've contacted another ht dealer via e-mail. This is the only other dealer I've been able to find that carries this line and is willing to ship across Canada.

Anyone wishing this info can pm me, and I'll give you the details. One good thing he did mention was that Knoll had a warranty depot in Vancouver, so that would be a plus.

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    wow, Knoll operates right out of my own backyard! Funny coindidence... haven't heard of them, and ProjectorCentral doesnt have any info on them either...

here's the site though:
    http://www.knollsystems.com/index.html

12. PeterMano

Okay, forget about what I've been saying about not being able to find Screenplay products in Canada. I just had a local dealer phone me and inform me, they've been carrying infocus screenplay products for the last 6-7 months. Their website mentions absolutely nothing about them carrying the infocus brand however. I'll check them out tomorrow and report back what I find. He also stated emphatically that the products are warrantied and fully legit.

You figure it might occur to companies to update their websites more than once a year.

13. Matt_M

Matt_M Stunt Coordinator

Looking forward for more info Peter. I am thinking of getting the infocus soon. Please post if they have any models on display as well.

14. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

The distributor for Screenplay projectors in Canada, (at least I know of no others), is situated in B.C. I'll call him and see if I can help with a list of resellers/retailers that handle the product, and/or if I can get them through him.

Larry Hoffman
    TigerDirect.ca

15. PeterMano

Thanks Larry, I'll be interested in what you come up with. You know, aside from the higher prices we pay in Canada, sometimes we can't even find someone to sell to us. I never thought locating a projector would require so much detective work.

16. PeterMano

A brief update. I checked out Audio Video Unlimited at their Coquitlam location. They do indeed carry the infocus screenplay line. However, they did not have an infocus 4805 set up. They can get them from their distributor who is local within a couple of days. So, if anyone just has to have one and be the first on their block to own one, there you go. Curiously, if I wanted a sanyo plv-z2, I'd have to wait a week or two as those come in from Ontario.

I did get a chance to see a screenplay 5700 up against a sanyo plv-z2. No contest there, the 5700 all the way. However, it's a more expensive piece. Also, I'll just mention, please don't go in expecting mail-order pricing.

The salesperson's biggest qualm with the 4805 was the size of the screen and viewing distance due to sde. Basically, it came out to about 2X screen width as a viewing distance to eliminte sde in case people are interested. That was his opinion based on his experience with the 4800.

I'll wait for the time being. I'd like to see one in action before plunking cash down. This is tough for me, being a new tech junkie. I did like the 5700 in action but that's a higher res unit. I'm not prone to seeing rainbows, so I can't comment on rbe, but that was a projector I could comfortably live with. I believe it uses the Materhorn chip. I love these marketing names. However, it was interesting to see the lower res 5700 dlp unit clearly outperform the higher res lcd sanyo plv-z2. At least, imo.

17. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Well I called the Screenplay distributor today. It is called Aralex. It seems that Infocus will not allow an on line reseller to handle it's Screenplay products, so I won't be able to source them. I was also told that by our main supplier of projectors in Canada, who sells us the Infocus line as well as NEC, Hitachi and Sanyo.
    (if you see a CA after the part number of a product on our web site, that means it is sourced here, if it is in stock at distribution.

If you call Aralex's number; 1-800-663-6732, the order desk will tell you who carrys the Screeplay line in your area.

At TigerDirect we deal with a distributor in the Toronto area, as I mentioned earlier, for many of the projectors we sell. In addition we buy from Optoma on a direct basis. We can get the home theater products from Optoma, NEC and Sanyo. The Panasonic home theater units that you see on our site are U.S. product, though the prices may make it worth having to deal with Panasonic U.S. for warranty.
    Panasonic Canada, like Infocus and Hitachi, sell their home theater units through a different channel than their regular business products, so I can't get them.

I hope that information has been helpful.

Larry Hoffman

18. PeterMano

Thanks, Larry, that jibes with the info I received from Audio Video Unlimited. They stated their distributor was what I thought sounded like Airlux, but apparently is Aralex as you stated.

Yeah, I thought there might be a catch with that killer panasonic 500 bundle you guys have. Still, that's well under the going price here by well over $1000 and doesn't include the 5.1 sound system. I just wish I liked the panny 500 better. I've seen it twice now, and while nice, I'm not blown away. Lcd just isn't doing it for me with respect to picture quality. I guess I fall into the dlp camp.

19. Matt_M

Matt_M Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys.
    Thanks for the tip Peter. I went to Audio Video unlimited and picked up the Infocus 4805. First they said there is not authorized dealers on the internet or that's what they been told. However I showed them a link from the official website. They actually matched the deal that's been recently posted on the forum ~1500$ US and a 103" screen except they of course converted it to Can$ + the duty/tax you would have to pay if you shipped from the U.S. But overall a good deal I think

20. pandax

pandax Auditioning