What's new

Good place to sell used car? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hey what advice can you give me about selling my car. Where's a good place to advertize? I've already put an ad on Auto Trader and the Audi enthusiasts website. I'm thinking about the local paper. Any other suggestions? The cheaper the better!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I won't do as well from Carmax as I would froma private party, will I? Won't they offer me trade-in value? The difference between trade-in and private party sale is something like $2500 on this car. I'm not willing to take that hit. OTOH I've heard that Carmax pays much more than trade-in on vehicles.

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Are you selling the Audi?

A couple of years ago when I sold a car, I just went to CarMax. I got less than I would have if I tried to sell it myself, but the process was very easy - I took the car to CarMax, waited an hour, got a check, and got a ride home. There was no: setting up times to meet people, having them not show up, letting them drive the car, letting them learn how to drive stick on the car, being strung along as they're waiting for their tax return, etc. I was selling an Integra, and that car, at the price point I would have sold at, would have attracted every wannabe Vin Diesel and Paul Walker around. I didn't want that type of hassle.

That being said, when I found my last used car, I found it in the local paper. Autotrader is good, too, as you can post pictures and such. I saw a few good ones on eBay, but I was only interested in eBay listings by locals and reputable local dealers - I wanted to be able to check out the car in person before buying.

Also, beware of the cashiers check scam that people are using to buy cars. Someone agrees to buy your car, gives you a cashier check, takes the car, and then you find out the cashiers check is no good. Before accepting a cashiers check, even before meeting the person to exchange car and check, as them for the bank name and the number on the check. Then call the bank and verify that the check is good.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks