Good Place to Learn about Woodworking

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JustinSC, Nov 3, 2003.

1. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra

Want to learn some tricks and such so I can improve in my box building. Right now I have a good straight edge for the circular saw, a radial arm saw that needs to be realigned, a router, and of course a drill. Never taken any type of shop classes so I need to learn a little.

Thanks

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Books will help but if you dont know the nomenclature, then you will miss much of the lesson. is there a junior college by you that you can take some basic wood classes?
    Hands on experience is always the best experience.

3. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Books! And don't discount your local library! I have the two router books below checked out right now from my Library.

I have some good table saw books that would help if you had a table saw, but I am sure there are some on RAS too.

For the router walk, no run to your library or local bookstore and get either or both of these books:

Router Magic

Woodworking with the router

Both by Bill Hylton. I personally like the first one better. It has more quick tips and is newer. But both are worth having a copy of.

Oh, I almost forgot. This is the Bible for finishing wood: Understanding Wood Finishing. Skip getting this one from the libabry and just order it from Amazon. One of my "must have" books. Look at Amazons user ratings for it. The lowest rating out of 37 users is a 4 or of 5 stars! [​IMG]

rf

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Forums:
    - WoodNet: A very large forum with all levels of expertise.
    - WWA: A smaller but very knowledgeable forum

How To:
    - Wood Shop Demos: There are tons of great ideas on this site. Lots of pictures and descriptions make this a great learning resource. Here is the main menu (it is kind of hidden).

Finishing:
    - In addition to the Bob Flexner book (listed above), I'd add Jeff Jewitt's "Hand Applied finishes" because it gives you a better "how to" approach (how to pick a brush, set up a finishing area, etc.). The Flexner book goes into the details of each type of finish. Each book complements the other (and are must-haves for the WW library).

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

just like this place and speakers there are tons of online forums that will help you with questions and such, but practice makes perfect, right?

6. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

This one...

WoodNet

As stated above by Greg R is full of great advice and expertise. Keep in mind that it also seems to be very political. If you don't mind your advice sprinkled with people obsessed with trading spars with each other for their beliefs, it's a handy resource. If you mind bickering..maybe not.