1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Good place to demo HT (especially TVs) around Atlanta?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an HDTV purchase. Pretty much whenever I find a choice I am 100% comfortable with. After having read this forum I am leaning very strongly toward the Panasonic PT53WX42 and 47WX42. But I would like to see these TVs in action before I make my decision. I tend not to like demoing televisions at either Circuit City or Best Buy type places. I have not been to HiFi Buys, but I suspect it'll be more of the same: poorly calibrated sets in poor conditions, ill-informed salespeople, etc. I can afford to wait to buy, but I have a buyer lined up for my current 32" TV and I would like to get something purchased while he is still on the hook. I could walk away with the Panny 47WX42 for only $1100 from Onecall once I subtract the money from the sale of my old TV. But I want to see it (and the competition) in person before I buy..

2. Peter.LeBlond

I haven't been there since they remodeled and quit selling DVD's, but Georgia Home Theater people kept their stuff looking good and they seemed pretty informed. I never made any hardware purchases myself. They are closed on Saturdays tho.
    Pete

3. BillBandy

BillBandy Auditioning

I have been to all local stores, none have TV's calibrated and most will not show you what a local signal looks like on the TV. Big Screen(Kennesaw) has a good viewing area and can show you all the Mitsubishi models. All stores leave a lot to be desired in demonstrating capabilities of TV's and Accessories. Hi-Fi Buys has much better qualified people than others that I visited while selecting my equipment, none can meet all needs. All sets are hooked up as they came out of shipping box so don't expect it to be calibrated. The Manufacturers are getting better but not close enough to use "out of box" without some setup to meet your personal requirements.

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

That's disappointing. If I were the manager of a store that sold home theater gear, I would at -least- take the time to purchase a few copies of Avia, train the sales associates on its use, and have them run it on all TVs on display. Or even employ an ISF calibrator in-house. His services could be sold to customers, plus he could do tours, etc, as well. Not just the in-store stuff.

but hey, that's just me. i guess i'll check out hifi buys.

5. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

You really need to go check out Audio Forest. I'm not from the area so I can't tell you exactly where they are, I know its near the I-85/I-285 junction north of town. Here is their website with contact info (www.audioforest.com) They carry the panasonics you are looking at and have by far the most knowledgeable salesmen in the area. I'm sure if their TV's are calibrated, but i do know they have people with a pretty decent knowledge of calibrating TV's. I don't beleive however that they have anyone who is certified, though I could be wrong. The owner of the shop is Ellis Baxter, I have driven over there from Birmingham to buy all my equipment for years and couldn't be happier with the service I got. Luckily they are opening a new shop here in Birmingham, so it oughta save me some gas and time!
    Good Luck
    Brandon

6. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Brandon - Thank you very much, I'll definitely be checking that place out. I nearly placed an order this morning w/ OneCall for a Panny 47WX42 but decided that I really had to wait and see it as well as the competition in person before doing so. With the new Sonys coming out as well as the 82 series Toshibas, it would be dumb not to. I'm also considering glass, like the new 36" Wega XBR800 that's coming out next month. I do a fair amount of gaming, so I am at least taking that into consideration before committing to RPTV. Thankfully there are forums like this full of good info. Thanks again.

7. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

AudioForest has a horrible reputation for snobbery and above MSRP on some of the things they carry. I have been there on numerous occasions and the experience got worse and worse. Definately a lesson in elitism and unmovable high prices, but YMMV.

8. Brandon Blair

Kevin,

Sorry you had a bad experience there, but I can tell you for a FACT that they do NOT charge over MSRP on ANYTHING! In fact they tend to come down off of the MSRP quite a bit. I have spent a lot of time in their store and have never seen or experienced anything like you discussed above. I have recommended many of my friends to go over there, as until they put a store in Birmingham we haven't had anything like it in Alabama, and all who have came away glowing about the professionalism and service they received.

Josh I would say you definetely need to go check out what they've got, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Good Luck,
    Brandon

9. Kevin Alexander

When shopping for my Sony 777ES receiver a couple of years ago, the AudioForest price was $100 over the MSRP. Even Tweeter (HiFi Buys) was lower!!! When I brought this to their attention, I was politely told to get lost. When I asked for 10% off some Rotel gear priced at full MSRP, I received a stern ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I live 10 minutes from them, and I visited the store 2-3 times a month. Now, I as well as several people in the area (including other local dealers) have nothing good to say about the people at Audio Forest - and all for various reasons.

10. Brandon Blair

Hey Kevin,

I have to ask, are you sure that their price was $100 over MSRP or $100 over HiFi Buys. Stores like HiFi Buys and Best Buys will have prices marked that is not necessarily the MSRP. A good example is today I went into Best Buys, they have the Panasonic 47WX32 marked as MSRP $1749.00 with a discount off of that price, that is totally incorect, the true MSRP is $1799.00. Also stores such as these will almost always have your lower end equipment (i.e. sony, panasonic, technics, etc..) marked lower than a specialty store such as Audio Forest will. This is for a real good reason, your specialty stores can't make enough money to stay open selling sony's and panasonic's and honestly its not a real high priority for them. They make their money when someone comes in and spends 10k-20k on a system, and its happens more than most would think. The reason stores like this are there are to give a product and an expertice that Best Buys and Tweeters can't (i.e. a $30,000 Boulder Amplifier).

Again, I'm sorry you haven't had a good experience there, I have had nothing but great experiences. I have received discounts on several items and other items not, of course I never asked for or demanded one either. To each his own I guess. Until I see otherwise I'm still going to strongly recommend people to check them out, as they have the best equipment and most knowledgeable people of any other store I've been to.

-Brandon

11. Kevin Alexander

I wish I had your experiences w/ them. My system would probably be totally differeny today.

12. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I will have to at least stop by Audio Forest to see what they have. I went to Best Buy ,HiFi Buys and Circuit City today. I was impressed with TVs I did not expect to be impressed with and vice-versa, and some were what I expected. I know it's not a good way to compare, but some things I felt were accurate enough. I came away not as impressed with the Toshibas as I had hoped. The 47" Panasonic was nice, though. And the Sony 51" and 57" looked good, too. If there's a significant enough price drop on the 57" Sony as the new models arrive, I think I'll probably go for that, unless the new model is quite a bit better. I'm not really interested in DVI support, though I wouldn't mind it. I probably won't have whatever TV I decide on long enough for something like DVI to matter.

I was also not as impressed with the new hi-scan 32" Wega (non-XBR) as I thought I would be. And I -was- impressed with the 40" Panasonic PT-40LC12. It's a little on the small side but it's razor sharp, and bright/clear when viewed from from sharp angles as well as straight on.

Right now I'd have to say the 47"/53" Pannys and 51/57" Sonys are at the head of my list. I'm waiting a few more weeks to see if Sony announces the details on their new RPTVs, otherwise i'll just wait until onecall gets the 53" panasonic back in stock.

13. Brandon Blair

Panasonic actually has a 45" version of their LCD tv you saw as well. Panasonic has an arangement not to put it in the large retail stores (Best Buy or Circuit City) and only give it to the specialty shops. I'm not sure if Audio Forest will have one in right now or not, but they do carry it and should have one on display very soon if they don't already. Its a little more pricy though as it Retails for around $3500. Its an incredible little picture.

Good Luck,
    Brandon

14. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter