Good place to buy cordless drills?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AVspec, Aug 21, 2002.

1. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    I am looking at buying a good cordless drill for work (A/V installation) like a Milwaukee 18V and wanted to find out the best place to buy? I found a good price from Amazon but thought perhaps there are even better deals to be had?

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I bought my Ryobi at Home Depot. Suppose I could have found it for cheaper elsewhere, but I liked how I was able to test each different brand and model at Home Depot before I bought it.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

20 years of professional cabinet making experience, 8-9 hour day shifts of drilling hundreds of thousands of holes/screws says Mikita makes the best hand drills.

Just as Porter/Cable makes the best routers

(The opinion of my friend)

4. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Buzz hook me up with an 18V dewalt. I need one!

5. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I bought a refurb Dewalt from Amazon, and it's been perfect. Very cheap as well!

6. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Last year I got a 19.2V drill kit with 2 batteries and a worklight (which uses the same batteries) at Sears for $99.

7. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

where are you getting these deals? Steve who what's the make of the 19.2V drill? The dwalt had more torque 450lbs compared to the 400lbs of torque on the 18V makita. The makita comes with an extra battery though.

8. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I had a friend that was a Dewalt rep and while he could get me a special deal, he also told me that I could buy it cheaper at Home Depot. According to him, they made less than $3 when selling a $250 Dewalt drill (actually, they get some back at the end of the year based on volume).

So if my friend is to be believed (and he has no reason to lie), you can't do much better than Home Depot for price.

9. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

10. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

The 19.2V drill I got at Sears for $99 is a Craftsman.

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Mark,
    Take a look at the Panasonic drills as well. The batteries in these drills are amazing... no memory, ultra-fast charge times, & they last forever. Another big plus is that they are one of the only drills to offer full torque at low RPM. Read the reviews on Amazon for more opinions...

I'll also humbly suggest that you consider a smaller drill. The 18V'rs are big, heavy, and hard to fit into cramped spaces. For A/V or cabinet install work, I'd go with a 12V or 14.4V with extra batteries...

12. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Agree with the last comment. The 14.4V DeWalt is all you'll ever need in a cordless drill. If it's not up to the task (which is a rare thing indeed), it's time to go back to your old 110V drill.

You need an 18V DeWalt drill the same way you need a 25 HP riding lawnmower. Nice phallic substitute, but not necessarily any better at helping you get the job done.

13. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Well I go off to work for the day and look at all the replies! I thought I would be lucky to get one! Thanks for all the feed-back!
    I do a lot of pre-wire in new construction for thru-house audio and HT system rooms and have to drill though a lot of wood and sometimes there is no power at the site.
    I need a contractor grade drill.
    I am surprised no one mentioned Milwaukee?
    I was thinking about getting the Milwaukee 0524-24 18-Volt 1/2" T-Handle Hammer
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...539163-7727929

14. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Mark the Dewalt's have 450ft/lbs of torque while the Milwaukee is 400ft/lbs. As the HiFi salesman says "Oh you need the bass" in boogie nights, I say you need the extra torque.

15. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Cool. These drills apparently have more torque than a Corvette engine. [​IMG]