What's new

Good piping hot coffee at home: Possible? (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

Now all you need is electric water! :D

I'll have to check out how a percolator works. I suspect it has the potential to make great coffee if it's set up just right. But then what do I know? I don't drink coffee! I have a Braun coffee maker, but that's for the guests!

And yes, I do have a Smith Corona manual typewriter All I need now is the rotary phone, preferably a bakelite model. :)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Like Philip, I have a smaller percolator that I use on camping trips. It's very old and very beat-up -- it used to belong to my parents and they used to put it directly into the fire. I buy coarsely ground coffee before my trips to put into it.

Ron, buy a press and try it out -- they're cheap, so what can it hurt? Or ask for one for the next gift-giving holiday. My uncle asked for a french press for Christmas and got six, each one of them different.

"What the hell am I gonna do with six french presses?" he asks.

"Do a comparison and publish your findings on the internet," was my suggestion.

James Edward

Supporting Actor

Every day. I use a Farberware electric percolator- 4 cups takes about 5 minutes, and I look forward to every cup.
And it's hot as hell. They make 2-4 cup, 4-8 cup, and 6-12 cup models.
They run about 45 dollars. Since it's electric, it's just about as easy as a drip make. And, as someone said earlier, just get your beans ground for a percolator.
Even better, I use a little paper disc that goes on the bottom of where the coffee goes, and grind size is not even an issue.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

Wow! What a bargain! That is about how much I owe both the IRS and the Commenwealth of VA is taxes. The hell with them with coffee is at stake.

Actually I've seen a much, much cheaper one at the Williams & Sonoma Outlet. Its a discontinued model which the S9 is the sucessor to. I was going to use my refund but, oh well.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as another fan of the French press, preferably a Bodum because the stainless steel is nice! A large one costs $40 but if you're making for yourself only you can probably find the medium size for around $30.

Caution! You must tell your coffee place that you use a press because the grind they need to use is much coarser than standard brew

I also just got a Toddy Cold Brew Coffee system that I'm trying out. The results have been good so far! I'm going to use it primarily for thick coffee extract that I will keep refrigerated for iced coffee drinks.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
My grandmother-in law swears by her Bunn. It's the only one she uses and has used for upteen years. We bought her a new one just this past year.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The problem can be the bean, the grinder, or the coffee machine. www.coffeegeek.com is a great resource for information. Check out vacuum coffee pots (NOT perculators) to ensure perfect water temperature for the coffee. They look like 2 coffee pots screwed together (hourglass shape).

Grinding your own beans is highly recommended for freshness. FWIW, a decent grinder may cost more than your coffee maker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks