Good piping hot coffee at home: Possible?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am a coffee-holic.

There is nothing I enjoy more than
    a piping hot cup of coffee in the morning.....

....but it has been years since I have
    enjoyed the pleasure.

I always seem to end up buying crappy
    coffee makers that don't deliver.

Let me start by saying that Mr. Coffee
    has got to be the absolute worst of the
    bunch. I bought their so-called "elite"
    model a few years back. The damn thing
    will not serve coffee that is above hot
    tap water temperature, and if you try to
    make more than 4 cups at once (the capacity
    is 12) the grinds overspill into the pot.

I am not looking to spend a fortune on a
    good coffee maker, though I am not looking
    to skimp either. I can spend up to $150 if
    need be.

I suppose the answer to my problem is a
    coffee maker that remains powered on with
    its own reservoir of water to keep hot.
    Perhaps I don't need to go this route.

The most popular makers seem to be the
    $100 Cuisinarts. though reviews on them
    seem to be horrible -- particularly for
    the fact that they need to be taken apart
    and cleaned often.

Anyone have a really dependable coffee
    maker that delivers piping hot coffee every
    time? Perhaps with its own attached grinder?

Thanks for the help.

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Unfortunately I don't know of anything in that price range. I made the jump to the Saeco line of SuperAutomatic expresso machines and haven't done brewed coffee at home since. I have used the Vienna and the Charisma (my current machine) and they make excellent long shots (which I use as the brewed coffee substitute).

The site where I bought my expresso machine also sells coffee makers and has lots of user reviews. It might be worth a look to see what they have. They also have nice comparison functions to see how features differ between models and brands.

www.wholelattelove.com

Good luck hunting. I agree that fresh ground coffee is great. Once you have gone with fresh ground coffee it is hard to go back to just any coffee. Also, there are so many different collections of beans to choose from you can generally find a coffee for almost any occasion.

Happy Hunting,

Kenneth

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You might try a French press. If you have not seen one of these, they are nothing more than a glass cylinder with a plunger and are quite inexpensive.

Try this:

Fill the press with hot water (this is to get it warm so the coffee does not cool).

Heat water to the boiling point.

Pour the hot water out of the French press.

Add ground coffee to the press. How much is up to you (I like really strong coffee). A press does require coarsely ground coffee. Most commercial grinders have a setting for this device.

According to some things I have read, the water should be added to the press ‘just off the boil’. Since you like really hot coffee, you might pour in the water when it has come to a full boil.

Put the plunger in the press, but don’t depress the plunger.

Wait a couple of minutes and then plunge.

Pour yourself a cup of hot coffee.

Ron I love coffee, but don’t care much for brewed coffee, as I consider it far too weak. I’m not sure if coffee made this way will appeal to you or not and the press won’t keep the coffee hot. You can pour the coffee into a vacuum container or just make another cup when you want another cup of coffee. It is really very easy.

Best of all this is really cheap. French presses are quite inexpensive. Boiling water does not take anything special (although we use a quick boil).

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I have the Cuisinart that grinds the beans right before brewing. It's awesome and the clean up is not that big a deal. You just rinse out the grinder bit (not hard at all), and the cover. Takes maybe 3 minutes to do a thorough job of it.

6. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I guess I'm not as picky about coffee as Ron: must be those years of drinking Army coffee: anything else has to taste good. [​IMG]

I use cheap Mr. Coffee machines, Folger's 100% Columbian, and I'm good to go. If the coffee gets cold before you finish, just nuke it in the microwave for 45 seconds. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........[​IMG]

For an added treat, put in a slug of "Irish sweetener"

7. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

The models with the attached grinders all seem to have the whirring blade grinders, which are considered inferior because they generate heat and they don't grind the coffee uniformly (you end up with "pebbles and boulders.") A burr grinder is preferred by all the sources I've read, although I guess a blade grinder is still better than using pre-ground coffee.

A useful resource I've found is the Coffee Snob Website. It doesn't have a lot of specific equipment reviews but it can greatly improve your understanding of which features are important to look for.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have a Braun machine that serves the coffee McDonalds hot - I burn my mouth on it all the time, got to be careful of the crotch....

9. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

I have a simple Krups coffee maker that uses Melita cone filters. I use filtered water and good coffee and I get decent reliable results every time. Is it great coffee? No, but it will do until I can afford the Jura/Compresso that I have my eye on.

10. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Does anyone here still use an old-fashioned percolator?

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I have two different model Black & Deckers (one at home, one at the office) each with a thermal carafe. The coffee starts out hot and if you keep the cover screwed down tight it will still pour hot several hours early - without excessive oxidation from exposure to the air or burning from being on a hotplate for a long time. In fact, the coffee is still warm the following morning if there's some left in the office machine that I have to empty out.

But I'm not that picky about my coffee. I worked the night shift at a hospital for a couple of years, so now anything the resembles coffee tastes good to me. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

12. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

IMO, better than a coffee maker is a coffee press:

[​IMG]

No other coffee making device can get as much flavor out of the beans than a press, or gives you as much control over the strength.

See Lew's post about how it works.

The only downside to a press is that since it doesn't sit on any kind of hot plate, nothing will be has hot as the first cup. My solution is to buy two small coffee presses (about $10-$15 each) and wait to fill the second one up when I'm ready for the next cup. Clean up is extremely easy; just put it in the sink and rinse. Having multi presses is also handy when you have both decaff and regular people over.

It's also always best to buy coffee as beans and grind them yourself right before use.

13. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I agree with Ron, while the Mr. Coffee's do an ok ho-hum job, they do not really serve hot java. I hear the temp for fresh brew at Starbucks is close to 200 degrees, I estimate our home models in the 120-160 range max. I even found that letting the coffee sit for a few minutes after it is brewed makes it hotter. Maybe their concerned with lawsuits over burns from hot coffee??

14. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

No need to wait any longer Michael, the Jura-Capresso 13936 Impressa S9 Fully Automatic Coffee and Espresso Center is marked down to $2,199.00 at Amazon!

15. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Francois Caron,

I'm sorry to say almost NOBODY uses a perculator nowadays because that way of making coffee results in TERRIBLE tasting coffee with visible grinds when you pour the coffee out of the perculator! [​IMG]

That's why I have a French press and make some great tasting coffee. [​IMG]

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Yeah. I keep one right next to my manual typewriter and rotary telephone. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

17. Ashley Rose C

Ashley Rose C Auditioning

I agree on the french press, saves money and makes AWSOME coffee....If you have one the time...and two the right amount of coffee each time. So if you can sit and watch water boil and then time the coffee ....sure its an awsome steal of a deal

Ashley ...COFFEE MANIAC

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

This isn't a problem if you get your beans ground coarse for a perkolator. Put a fine grind in and you've got troubles. The same coarse grind is intended be used in a French Press.

Personally I find French Press Coffee to have more sediment than perkolated.

I have a tiny mini-perkolator that I use on backpacking trips and it is fantastic. Nothing like fresh perked coffee when you're miles away from civilization.

19. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

Philip,

What Braun do you have? I have a drip one, and it doesn't make super-hot coffee. I looked on it for a model number, but couldn't find one.
    I have used a french press, and I am not a huge fan. You have to be very attentive to using the proper grinds (too fine and you get sludge), and the proper brewing time. Also, the press gets very hot, as it sucks heat from your coffee.
    I have taken to microwaving my milk for 25 seconds before pouring in my (drip) coffee, I find this makes my cup much hotter than adding refridgerator cold milk to coffee.
    I purchased a vacuum sealed mug a while back. This keeps my coffee as hot as it was when it was poured for a very long time. If your coffee is hot enough at first, but cold before you're done drinking it, this is the acessory for you. Make sure you don't just get a stainless steel one, pay up for the vacuum sealed one.

20. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Here's something(not exactly the same model) that I just got as a gift to use with my french press:

[​IMG]

Very quick for boiling the water for the press.