What's new

Good PDA? (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
What's a good, bargain basement ($100-$300) PDA? Color's not really all that important, but it should be able to take notes, keep dates, etc. Is there a unit that let's you instant message?

Either way, games are a certainly a plus. I was looking at a Handsprings Visor Neo at around $200. Looks alright, but nothing flashy. I saw it get a few bad reviews at Amazon. Is this a good unit?

Either way, thanks for the help.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Maybe the new Cybiko? yeah its more directed to teens, but it sounds like it may suit you well...
Customize your own Cybiko XtremeTM to hold the PHAT apps and games you choose. Using the enclosed Installation CD, it's easy to personalize your Cybiko XtremeTM to match your mood. Cybiko technology allows you to chat wirelessly with your friends in your local virtual network. In FRIEND FINDER mode, you can search and find people you're looking for - or, with your PERSONAL PROFILE, meet new friends!
Your Cybiko Xtreme package includes:
The Cybiko XtremeTM Wireless Hand Held Computer
2 NiMH Rechargeable Batteries - Not Removable
Power Adapter
USB Cable
Installation CD with additional Games & Applications for Easy Access
MP3 Rebate Form
Quick Start Guide
I read it also has Email, and all online services are free...
check it out @ http://www.cybikoxtreme.com
I want one of those... :P
therse also a therad regarding PDAs in the Computers and HTPC section

Ike

Screenwriter
It really shouldn't be a teen-kiddie type model, if it all possible.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I love my Visor Deluxe. There is a thread on this over in PC stuff right now, and no shortage of raves about the things if you do a search. Caroline bought the Neo at the weekend and loves it. The only possible thing I can think to criticise it about is that a minor OS upgrade and twice the clock speed aren't really enough to justify twice the price of that $99 Deluxe thats been linked. Otherwise go for it.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Along the same lines, anyone have an HP Jornada? They are pricier ($400-500) but are in color and have a Windows-type OS and scaled down versions of Excel, etc.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Quick review on the Handspring, yeah, I love it. I bought it to replace a Palm M100 (2mb) and have been very happy with it. My only complaint would be that it relies on AAA batteries instead of a rechargeable source. It seems to be going through it's batteries faster than the M100 did but it still shows about 40% power left after close to a months use.

Sure, it's not color but considering this thing was selling for $249 less than a year ago, I'm not complaining.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If you want games, a Casio E-125 can be found nowadays at absolute steal prices, have seen people mention prices like $220 for it. This is a PocketPC, ie WinCE 3.0, device with a superb color screen, controls perfectly laid out for games and a built-in CompactFlash type II slot so you can expand memory etc in the box.
Games like this, for example:
http://www.turjah.com/xscreenshot/index.htm
The differences between the E-125 and the latest batch (retailing at 3 times that price) are minor really, at least when it comes to the software and performance end.
It is a tad boxy compared to an iPaq but it is rock solid. Unlike the iPaqs, no dust gets in behind the screen to contaminate the picture. You can press more than one button at a time and have it register, again unlike (at least the original, not sure about the new ones) iPaq.
You should definitely look long and hard at this one if you want a multimedia and multitasking capable PDA at affordable prices.
Obviously it can do all the normal PIM things, like calendars, to-do lists, databases... in addition it is superb for e-books, mp3 listening, watching movies (if you have the storage capability, like an IBM 1GB microdrive for the compactflash slot), games...
Reviews and stuff:
Link Removed

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
*PDA Newbie question*

Are there any PDAs that have free messaging services, including email? I'm guessing no, but I think somebody once mentioned it to me.

THanks!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that I can think of that comes close to free messaging is the RIM Blackberry, which is basically a wireless email device (there's a monthly fee, but the device is cheaper).

I'm a happy Jornada user myself. If you're looking to buy though, I'd go Win CE over palm in a second. Better OS, and Palm won't exist in four years.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I have to say that unless you want multimedia (and it doesn't sound like it) I wouldn't bother with WinCE devices. They are larger and significantly more expensive, basically aimed at a different market.

Besides, you can buy a Handspring Visor and a Gameboy Advance and have the best of both worlds for less than a WinCE device. That game Kimmo linked to looks fun, but its not exactly Super Mario World or Tony Hawks 2.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, given a choice between a Visor Neo or my Casio at basically the same price, I'd go with the Casio each and every time. The screen alone cements that decision... this thing makes some laptop screens look bad when it comes to clarity and readability. Well, except in direct sunlight, it washes out.

E-books on this thing absolutely rock. No eye strain even after using it for hours.

Sure, a new Gameboy will make this look bad as a gaming machine, but then you have to haul two boxes. This thing can play mp3's via the headphone output with superb quality, do games... etc. And of course, e-books and the like.

You can write on it with the built-in pocket word. Spend another $99 and you get one of the highly cool Stowaway (Targus) foldable keyboards and you can replace a laptop for much of your work.

The decision isn't as straightforward if you have to pay retail for a PocketPC, because you can get a Visor for one third of what a new Pocket PC 2002 costs, but when they're both in the $200 range?

Andre F

Screenwriter
I bought a Handsrping Visor about one year ago and it's been good to me. I've really started to use it more now that I have a lot of appointments to keep track of. For a while though it just sat there. So long story short, make sure you need it before buying one.

-Andre F

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks