good pair of 12" floor standing speakers for under $400?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe_Brown, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Joe_Brown

Joe_Brown Auditioning

hey guys i am looking for a good, well decent i guess, pair of 12" floor standing speakers for around $400....i was checking out the DCM DCM12A 12" speakers, i can get a pair of them for like $350....what do you guys think? need to handle atleast 100w rms....

2. Joe_Brown

Joe_Brown Auditioning

i am a newbie i guess i should add to

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Welcome to the forum Joe_Brown!
    Are you talking about a floor standing speaker with a 12" woofer or are you talking about a 12" tall speaker. I don't think they make any 12" tall floor speakers, kind of hard to get my ears level with the tweeters that way. [​IMG]

4. Joe_Brown

Joe_Brown Auditioning

heh.....talkin bout a 12" woofer....i am on a tight budget, i see people here talking about buying $10,000 pairs of speakers.....hehe.....cant afford that right now....i just want something decent for my bedroom to jam some metallica =]

5. John Royster

So what I'm hearing is you want a speaker to rock? Loud, slammin bass/guitars for under $500. Sounds like Klipsch speakers to me - man are they loud. I'm not to familiar with their newer model line so I can't recommend ones. See if you can listen to some in a store and bring your favorite tunes.

6. Joe_Brown

Joe_Brown Auditioning

neat, i am gonna buy some generic sony center channel and surround sound speaker combo thing to, for like super cheap, i dont care, they'll work for me, this stuff will just be in my bedroom....

whats a good reciever for around $250 that will pump out atleast 100w per channel to 5 channels..........5.1 setup right? center, rear left, rear right, front left, front right....i think.....

7. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Joe,
    There is not much audible (volume) difference between a receiver that pumps out 100 watts versus one that only pumps out 65 watts. The reason for this is that you have to double the wattage in order to get a noticable increase in volume (3 decibels). Assuming you have a speaker with an 87db sensitivity:
    watt - db
    1 - 87
    2 - 90
    4 - 93
    8 - 96
    16 - 99
    32 - 102
    64 - 105
    128 - 108
    Best thing to do is ignore wattage at that price point. You may want to look at the Onkyo TX-DS575x, Denon AVR-1801, and Yamaha RX-V420.
    For speakers, the KLH 9912s are good. However you may be better off with a pair of bookshelves, such as the nOrh wood 5.1s ($400 but the Christmas sale ends today) for now and adding a sub later on. Boominess for bass does not equal good bass.

8. John Royster

Joe,

Try searching the forums about the receiver and take everything you read with a grain of salt. for $250 a kenwood surround receiver really impresses me. I don't think I own a component less than $1000 but am consistently wowed by the current line of kenwoods in their price range. Others are onkyo, Harmon-Kardon, yamaha.

100 watt Kenwood receiver - $250

Klipsch floor standing - $500

Let's rock-n-roll. BTW 100 watts with Klipsch speakers is extremely loud. That's what you want right?

9. Joe_Brown

Joe_Brown Auditioning

when i get a job i will have good stuff to i guess heh

10. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Or - Look for Infinity SM's for sale used somewhere. I had a pair of SM115's, 10 inch woofers and they were 100db efficient. Bass was shy if the controls were kept flat, so you'd need to back it up with a sub or creep up the bass control. That would eat power, though.

I know some of those models had 12 and 15 inchers, 101 and 102db respectively. They can be had for a tick under $200 to about $300 a pair, just watch for foam rot if they are older.

Very loud.

1 watt = 100 db

2 = 103

4 = 106

8 = 109

16 = 112

32 = 115

64 = 118

Very, very loud. SV subs are the easiest and most affordable way to keep up with that, I'm sure.

Cliff Lives!!!

- CM

11. Joe_Brown

Joe_Brown Auditioning

cliff rules.....lol

12. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

If you're quick, you can get in on this auction at uBid.com: JBL S312. I won those speakers last week for 119 each and together with the shipping it cost me 390 for the pair. The only bad thing is that uBid.com is an unauthorized dealer and you might not get the full 5-year warranty. On the other hand, I find that to be an excellent price for these JBL's (they retail for 900 a pair) and sound great for the price. They even have good reviews at audiorevew.com. Anyway, I'll be receiving my speakers on Dec 31, and I'll let you guys know how my new home theater system (Onkyo 595, JBL S312/S36/S-Center) sounds.

13. Bert D

Bert D Stunt Coordinator

I second the recommendation for the S312's, and at under $400 they are a steal.

14. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Also, if you're wary of buying from uBid.com, you can also find the S312's at JandR.com (an authorized retailer) for 269.99 each with free shipping. If those are too expensive for you, then the JBL ND310, with dual 10 inch woofers, for 219.99 each and free shipping is a good choice as well. I've listened to both these speakers and find them to be excellent choices for the money spent.

15. Brian_C

Brian_C Stunt Coordinator

Received the UBid JBL S312s a few weeks ago myself. They sound incredible for what they cost. I highly, highly recommend them.

Some people have had bad experiences with UBid, so YMMV. These arrived in under a week in excellent condition for me, so I haven't had any problems with UBid yet.