What's new

Good option for a first "true" receiver (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I am trying to get some ideas for some receivers that are worth looking at in the $200-500 price range. Obviously this is a big range but I really want to stress that I don't need anything amazing as I own a Kenwood VR-606 and it covers pretty much all of the bases pretty well. I am just looking for something a little nicer. Component video switching would be nice. Does this mean that it just have component video ins and outs? or is component video switching have to do with converting s-video and composite sources and sending them out via composite?

Basically, I was a good quality receiver. Some options I would like is the option to convert video sources all to one ouput so I don't need more than 1 video cable out to my TV. It would also be nice to have a memory feature so that I can go to settings instead of having to change them all so that I can get music to play just through headphones. Thanks for all your help.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I would reccomend the Denon AVR-1705 It is what I use and is a great receiver if you have any particular questions about it just let me know.

MikeGee

Second Unit
Pioneer 1014tx.. its on sale right now at Best Buy online. All the bells and whistles. Hurry the sale ends tommorow morning.

Don*A

Agent
If you can swing $499 retail probally can find for about $450 look up 1 more level at the Denon 1905.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I like the look of the 1705 after checking it out a bit. I see the 1905, the main feature I see different is the dual zones. I don't think I would make muc use of this so unless you can somehow use it to drive a different pair of fronts with the same surrounds...I could use that. Can anyone else tell me the other big differences. Power output is about the same.

The Pioneer - what are the main advantages of that one compared to the Denon? It doesn't matter that the sale is ending as I will watch prices for a while I just need to get it down to an option or two to watch the princes on

MichaelPR

Second Unit
THe 1705 actually allows you to drive another set of fronts using Speaker AB but the dual zone would too....I really prefer the sound of Denons

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
so tell me if this is possible. I have my computer hooked into my receiver for use of the speakers. If I got one with A/B zones. could I drive a common set of surrounds and a different pair of fronts? This would be useful as I could use speakers solely for my computer in surround(its tough to set up a computer and surround to be oriented right in respect to one full 5.1 set of speakers). I hope this made sense

MichaelPR

Second Unit
to run 2 different source materials I believe that you would want multi zone. To run 1 source material but switch from 2 pairs of fronts or both sets of fronts at the same time you would want speaker A/B. I hope THAT made sense hehe

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
So far the one that suits me best is the Denon AVR-1705 I think. Is power any of a concern? I don't think it is as I heard that most of the time all that is used is about 20 watts or so. Also Michael can you confirm with me that, with this receiver, I can have two sets of front speakers and switch between them while still using the same surrounds?

Also if anyone can confirm for me the question about component video switching. Does this receiver have the ability to output all sources via one component video cable? Is this even a possibility nowadays. I just don't know if component video switching means that it is capable of having component inputs and outputs or if it actually "switches" sources to component videos output. This would be a nice feature to reduce the cables I use.

Lastly, do you think its worth looking into the 1905 for $100 more. I guess I get a bit more power, 7 channels, and multiroom capability. I don't need multiroom but 6.1 is tempting. I technically wouldn't have enough speakers to do this initially(I want to use the surrounds I am about to replace as my B front channel speakers for my computer). But getting an extra speaker of building one myself would be pretty simple. Just looking for your professional(or even unprofessional :)) advice. Sorry for all the questions, I am really not too up to date on all the features receivers have.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Well first yes you can deffinately have two seperate pairs of fronts....But they will have to play the same exact material....You wont be able to listen to a sting cd on one set and an eagles album on the other. The receiver allows you to send all of your component hook ups out on ONE component wire, send all of your Svideo stuff out on one svideo wire. The receiver allows you took hook up three svideo sources and 3 component sources...check out the pictures on crutchfield.com....the 1705 also does 6.1 which for me is sufficient compared to 7.1....but it's up to you....it really is a great unit.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
wow, that really answered all my questions and more. I didn't even realize this one did 6.1 :). That makes me happy. For $399 it really sounds like a pretty good deal. Anybody know anyplace that puts these receivers on sale occasionally?

EDIT:

"All video signals can be passed from the '1705 to your TV via a single component video connection — you won't have to select a different input on your TV when you switch from VCR to DVD, for example, and all your sources will look their best"

That appears to say that ALL video signals out the component connection. is this incorrect?

MichaelPR

Second Unit
You will be hard pressed to find a Denon product on sale. Perhaps you could purchase one used from E-Bay.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
also would this be a good upgrade from my current receiver? My current receiver has a few things that bug me such as spring clamp speaker wire inputs, no crossover on the receiver itself for subwoofer(as far as I know as there is no mention of it in the instructions) Also the amount of switching I need to do sometimes annoys me. Is there any sound quality change to be expected from this upgrade or is more the features aspect?

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Don't know what your previous m odel is but if it has spring clamps I will say you will probably deffinately hear some differences here. I went from a low end Yamaha to this and there was a very audible difference.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Thanks Michael your really helping me out here. Is there, in your opinion, any reason to go up to any higher level Denon receiver if this has enough connections for what I will be doing? Is there any real reason I should look into something higher end? Just wanna make sure I am not missing out on something

MichaelPR

Second Unit
For my setup which consists of all Paradigm Titans and a CC-170 center...this was the perfect option. I also have two DVD players an Onkyo Universal and a Toshiba all region, a gamecube, an xbox, a Tivo, a sirius radio, an ipod, and the tv itself all hooked up to it. The thing sounds awesome compared to my old yamaha. If you fell you need the options of the higher end models go for it. But the price and dquality of the Denon product really won me over. I really enjoy the sound they produce. I also know alot of people like the Harmon Kardons and Yamahas but I prefer the sound of my denon over the Yamaha. I also found no use for DSP modes which are mostly crap that I have to pay more for

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks