Good optical digital cable?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jon Torres, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I'm looking for a good optical digital cable for not too much money. I need this in a 2m length. I thought about the AR HT181 from AC4L.com for $13.99, but I found out there's an $18 minimum. How about the IXOS 107 from AC4L.com for $22.99. Another option is the Toslink cable from AVCable.com for $22.60. The cable at Bettercables.com is too expensive for me at $79.95. At bestbuy, they have AR DA081 for ~$25. Anyone have any opinions on all this? Does it make any difference between these cables and the cheap $5 cables on ebay? Thanks.

2. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Many will tell you that when cables get that expensive (like the $80 you mentioned) there will be a negigible difference between that and something a little less. This may very well be true. However, when you start getting as low as $5, you are probably risking the actual construction quality and I wouldn't recommend it. The AR cables are probably quite decent, from what I've heard. I personally have to have the best interconnects, so for opticals I use the monster cable reference toslinks (they're about $120 for 2M I believe). Maybe it's placebo, maybe it's mind over matter, but I heard a stark contrast in my music switching from a $60 monster optical cable to their reference cable.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think the main differences you'll find in toslink, apart from appearance, is how thick the cable is (not important) and how good the connector is. If you're not going to be constantly taking the connector off and on, then likely an inexpensive one will do fine. Whether that's ebay, parstexpress, radio shack, electronics boutique, wallmart, target, really, it doesn't matter. A comparatively unique toslink product are the ones at www.lifatec.com where they'll sell you a stainless steel jacketed cable that stands up to quite a bit of abuse. That'd run you a little under $30. As to it's performing any better than an inexpensive one, the answer is no.

4. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

Thanks for the link to www.lifatec.com. I think I'll go with them, but I don't need the stainless steel jacket.

Anyone have any comments about this, a quote I picked up from lifatec.com, "PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE PURCHASING TOSLINK CABLES WITH GOLD PLATED CONNECTORS, BECAUSE THE SUPPLIER SAYS THEY PERFORM BETTER, YOU ARE BEING MISLED AND YOU ARE PAYING TOO MUCH. THESE ARE OPTICAL DATA LINKS and GOOD ELECTRICAL CONNECTION IS NOT REQUIRED, BECAUSE THERE IS NO ELECTRICAL CONNECTION!!!".

Any truth to this? I know there are some toslink cable makers that mention gold connectors. It makes sense because toslinks work with light, not electricity, right?

5. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

I've had a few different octical cables in my system, and there was no difference in sound...couldn't pick a from b if I tried.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The gold is strictly cosmetic and they're 100% on the money. Not that it costs a lot to gold plate. Some people prefer to have all their cables with gold ends. Not a big thing really. This is one of those things where it's really hard to go wrong.

7. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

8. Kimi-R

Kimi-R Agent

There are a couple compaines making a flexible "glass" rather than plastic toslink cable. It is SUPPOSED to perform better than plastic. Monster Cable is one of those companies that claim their gold plated connector on their toslink cable makes better connection. What a bunch of liars!

9. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

search ebay for ixos and xlo. both make great cables at a ridiculous low price.