1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Good Omens (Amazon Prime)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Greg.K, Jun 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 14 Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Anyone watching? We're 5 episodes in, my wife was too tired to watch the final one tonight.

I think it's a pretty decent adaptation overall. (and I only recently read the book, so it's pretty fresh in my mind). David Tennant is great as the demon Crowley, as is Michael Sheen as his frenemy, the angel Aziraphale. Some of the new characters such as Jon Hamm's Gabriel add to the story.

On the down side, there are some changes from the book that I don't particularly like, in particular the elimination of one of my favorite bits:
    the "other four horsemen"
    There are some added scenes to flesh out some of the backstory to Crowley/Aziraphale's relationship that I am ambivalent about.

And there is narration throughout that I am not crazy about.

2. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I'm taking it slow, so I've watched the first two.. I love Tennant in almost anything, and he's quite good in this.. the dialogue definitely screams Pratchett. Admittedly, as a fan of discworld, there is always a part of me that yearns for a good discworld series, but this will tide me over.

Greg.K likes this.
  3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I'm at the final episode, which I'll probably watch tonight. It's a good yarn. I enjoy some religious satire, like Heinlein's "Job".

I just hope they don't stretch it out. Get in, six episodes, and get out.

4. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Yes, just the 6 episodes. There is added material in the sixth episode that apparently was at one time considered for a book sequel.

I watched each of the first 4 episodes on separate days and then the final two this past Wednesday. I read the book ages ago and listened to the very good BBC radio adaptation last year (which was a bit over 4 hours long). I enjoyed it a lot.

Like Greg K., I did miss one of the plotlines that was left out. I remember it being quite humorous, but doesn't really add much to the plot. It is in the radio adaptation.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Just finished it. Enjoyed it from beginning to end, though the first few episodes, spanning the first six thousand years of existence, were my favorite.

I like how Frances McDormand performed God's narration like an audiobook; it's God's ineffable plan after all, so She would be the one being not at all surprised by what's happening.

The kids were well cast; they felt like actual kids, which is increasingly rare these days.

While an American national by birth, Adria Arjona spent her childhood in Mexico City, and the Mexican accent slipped out every so often in this role.

Has there ever been a situation before where two giants of genre fiction collaborated on a novel, and then one of those giants of genre fiction served as showrunner of a television adaptation? There was definitely more Neil Gaiman here than the other Gaiman adaptations I've seen. On the other hand, there was still a lot of Pratchett, too.
    There's definitely plenty of setup for a sequel in the final episode, and at one point Gaiman and Pratchett had planned on writing a sequel together. But since Pratchett passed away, I doubt we'll ever see it, in any medium.

Sean Bryan likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I didn't really care for the book, but I may give the series a try to see if it's any more engaging in a visual format.

8. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    It's a nice weekend binge. Entertaining, with some food for thought. Six episodes, in and out, and done.

NeilO and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  9. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    I got used to the narration by the end, but I do think in some cases I would have preferred that they show something rather than just read verbatim from the book. OTOH, it was a way to get more of Terry Pratchett's writing in there. And that they were budget limited in some cases from filming more.

10. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I thought this was great. Really enjoyed it.

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Just watched the first episode. It's as if Douglas Adams came back to life, found God and wrote a story about its bureaucracy! :D

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  12. NeilO

NeilO Producer

The book was written 11 years before Douglas Adams passed away. Still, one of Neil Gaiman's first published books was Don't Panic which was a biography of sorts and has since been updated. Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams shared a number of sensibilities.

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I enjoyed the series. Sort of a cross between Douglas Adams and the Coen Brothers.

14. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    I just started watching the 3rd episode last night.

While I fully expect for the AntiChrist-child to be skeevy, I am wondering if anyone else feels, as I do, that the other children in his group are probably MORE creepy than he is?