What's new

Good OAR-promoting idea (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i was milling around campus today and happened to notice one of the TVs around that show music videos 24/7. well i look up and there is a hip-hop video in 2.35:1 (i forget the artist or song...). now if we conviently cut off the sides to make it 'fullscreen' does anyone wanna guess how many 'hoes' would be missing from the rapper's pimp video? how would the rapper feel about the deletion of excess booties from his work? and now that i think about it, almost all music videos are shown in their OAR. we should just get MTV to show videos butchered into 4:3 (or show them both ways and let the teeny-boppers decide) until people understand that there's more to see.

call me crazy, but it sounds like a plan to me!

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I don't know if this will work for "promoting" OAR, but I completely fail to understand why some people will complain about movies being in widescreen, but not music videos! It should be the other way around! :)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I don't know if this will work for "promoting" OAR
i'm thinking that when people watch the butchered version they'll understand that a 4:3 cut isnt what they really want to watch. then maybe they'll use this same logic for movies.
just an idea! :)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a great idea. If you take away a guy character or a fully-clothed girl from the edge of a J6P's screen, he won't care, but take a scantily-clad hot woman, and I think he'll get the message. Hell, I know I would!
;)

David Head

Second Unit
I can just see the new ad campaign now:
widescreen.jpg

I can't take credit for this...it was posted on another forum.
David

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am so pro oar that I think I have to save that picture. I can create 1000 different threads that would not have the effect that one picture would have.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Man, that's awesome!!
Hey, let's do another HTF fund-raiser. Not for a new server this time. To rent billboard space in prime spots in LA, NY, Chicago, and Dallas.
THAT would be putting our money where our mouths are! :laugh:
I'm completely serious here, by-the-way. Put something very much like that up on a billboard. Forget slogans that will get us sued by the Milk Board ("Got Widescreen?") or Pontiac ("Wider Is Better") and come up with something original yet simple. How about "Widescreen: Get the Picture?". Put it up on a few billboards, with the HTF and Widescreen.org URL's as the only other text.
I betcha we get coverage on E.T. and Access Hollywood within a couple of days! ;)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
today in my film class, our professor gave a 20 minute lecture on the importance of watching films in their OAR as opposed to P&S. she supplemented the talk with examples from films showing how bad the condensed versions were. she also showed how Hollywood rhetoric and terms, such as 'Full Screen' or 'Standard' version promoted watching films in P&S instead of in their OAR. i'm so happy! :D
we really need everyone to take some type of film study class or something to get the word out about the advantages of OAR over P&S. i think alot of people understood her point and will at least consider this next time they buy a movie. we just need to get it out in the open to the public: if we educate, we'll eliminate.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Well, I agree with you 100% about the education idea. That's why Eric Jones and I started a widescreen movement. In a few days when the site is open, I will provide more details.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I think a perfect example of a butchered movie is "The Professional". I first saw the movie on VHS and HATED it. The pan and scan was so horrible.
When the DVD came out I rented it and loved the movie, even though I rented one of the copies with the bad audio :frowning:
Gord

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
saw something else interesting today. the new rap video "Young'n (Holla Back)" by Fabolous [sic] is very interesting from an OAR perspective. towards the end of the video, the OAR shifts from ~1.85:1 to something like 1.85:1 vertical (height:width). i think, as an educational tool, we should use this as an example and cut off everyone's head and legs to make it a 'perfect' 4:3 without those annoying black bars. :)
anyone else seen that video and/or have a comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks