What's new

Good Northeast vacation spots? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
With college debts outpacing salary, I can't really afford to fly anywhere for summer break this summer. My family has pretty much played out the Adirondacks and the Catskills, and I hit up Niagara Falls when I lived in Rochester so I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for vacation spots in New England and the Mid-Atlantic that are maybe off the beaten trail a bit (or not)?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

That...is really beyond my comprehension.

Would Asheville North Carolina be Mid-Atlantic?

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
what kind of vacation are you looking to take? like a laid back relaxing one or like adventure seeking one?

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
It might be a bit north of New England but if you like the outdoors, Acadia National Park in Maine is fantastic. Really you can't go wrong anywhere along Maine's coast.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Didn't really think about Maine, but come to think of it, I've only been up there once. Definitely worth checking into.The problem is that most of the people that would be going don't like hiking. There's plenty of trails and lakes that I'd still love to check out, but we've hit all the big tourist towns.

The ideal is a laid-back setting with some fun activities within easy day trip range.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Adam - Renting a house on Cape Cod is always fun. You have the beach during the day and some good ol' honky tonk Hyannis night life at night.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you decide on Maine and have the time, try getting up to Nova Scotia, too. Cape Bretton on the northern side of the province is beautiful. We enjoyed it even more than Acadia National Park. Even if you take the ferry across, it's still a long days trip to get there, though.

Bar Harbor and Acadia NP are wonderful. We also stayed a couple of nights in Boothbay Harbor, which is a few hours south of Bar Harbor on the coast. If you've never been on one, I would recommend a whale watching boat ride, too.

Another nice place is the White Mountains, including Mount Washington, in New Hampshire. If you are driving to Maine, you could even go through there on the way. That's what we did on our Maine trip, going cross-country through Vermont and New Hampshire.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Did it a few years back and had a really great time with it; definitely under consideration. My only hesitation is that I spend 8 months out of the year in Boston (albeit the cold, frosty ones) and can take a ferry to the Cape anytime I want. It doesn't seem as "special" somehow. That said, it is most definitely a great time.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Keep 'em coming.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Boothbay Harbor is a fave of mine, too. :emoji_thumbsup: I need to get back there sometime soon.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've been to Hershey as a kid before, fun rides, Chocolate stuff... Not sure if there is anything overthere other than the park though. Certainly a family-like atmosphere.

No recent experience though..

Jay

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Up around the bend from Rochester is the Thousand Island area along the St. Lawrence River. My wife and I were there about 10 years ago.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Gorgeous area. Been up to Alexandria twice. The first time was with my parents, the second time was with my late grandmother's boyfriend. His daughter owns a house up there.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd echo the Cape Cod, Maine suggestions.

Any interest in Amish country?

Would Boston in the summer be enough of a change for you to give you what you're looking for? ;) Sometimes the old "in your backyard" stuff can be overlooked.

Never been there...but Toronto is supposed to be a beautiful city...and a good time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! We're pretty settled on Hersey right now, but I'll definitely be coming back to this thread when considering the next vacation I have input into.Love Lake George. It's right up the Northway from where I live between semesters, so when I happen to have a functioning car and the weather's nice, I get some guys together and drive up for the day. My uncle used to keep a trailer up there for lake access rights and as a getaway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks