What's new

good non-progressive players for under $400? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Hi all,

I have been using a PS2 for DVD playback for over a year without any apparent problems.

However it's becoming increasingly obvious that the video quality represented on my WEGA is not up to snuff. Besides, the PS2 has begun refusing to play discs which played fine earlier.

I need a player that supports component video, optical audio, and has plenty of inputs.

I realize that the panasonic rp91 is being recommended, but my television does not support progressive scan, so it seem extemporaneous to buy one.

Any suggestions? I apologize for starting a new thread but my HTF searches haven't been very fruitful.

Thanks in advance.

Joseph

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joseph, don't rule out progressive-scan players just because you don't need progressive-scan output. All progressive-scan players can be used in interlaced mode. Consider build quality and other features. It may just be that a progressive-scan player will best suit you. Here are a few players to consider for under $400 (in no particular order):

* Toshiba SD-4700: A single-disc progressive-scan player that offers DVD-Audio. Best Buy sells it for $250. Build quality is nothing special, but not unusual at the $250 price point.

* Toshiba SD-5700: Much like the '4700, but adds HDCD decoding. Also, the chassis of the '5700 is silver, while the '4700 is black. Generally sells for $300. Build quality again is O.K., but not great.

* Sony DVP-NS500V: Interlaced single-disc player that offers playback of stereo and multi-channel SACDs. Best Buy sells it for $300. Build quality is good for the price.

* Sony DVP-NC650V: A five-disc carousel version of the 'NS500V. Best Buy sells it for $400. Again, build quality is good for the price.

* Panasonic DVD-RA60: An interlaced single-disc player with DVD-Audio. It typically sells for $230. I actually haven't seen one in person, but I have a previous-generation Technics interlaced DVD-Audio player (same parent company) that is very good, so I thought the 'RA60 would be worth considering.

* Pioneer DV-440: An interlaced single-disc player that Best Buy sells for $180 regularly and for $160 on sale. It is very sleek at only 2.25" high, plays MP3-encoded CDs, and has a 24/192 Burr-Brown DAC.

Those are a few models to consider. Certainly, others will make other recommendations. Good luck.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you do a search you may find a retailer that still has the Technics DVD-A10 on sale for $350. I recently found a place that has the A10 for that price but I can't remember where it was. The A10 originally retailed at $1200 (for about a minute), then $899, and is built like a tank. A hell of an interlaced player.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Philip, I would have recommended the 'A10, but I thought it was unavailable by now. When I was at J&R Music World's store in New York City around Thanksgiving, they still had the 'A10 for $350. However, I called them a few weeks later to check availability because I was considering one for my second system, and they were sold out. :frowning:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I was looking it up two days ago and I found it on sale someplace for $350. I have no idea where.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Joe,
If you could stretch your budget $25.00, the RP91 is the best player in that range IMO. I'm going to pick one up from J&R for my bedroom and use it in interlaced mode with a 27" Panasonic SuperFlat. Everyone seems to think it's the best player in this price range (generally speaking). Ya get dvd-A too boot! :) It's interlaced output is top notch from the MANY posts i've read. :emoji_thumbsup:
UPDATE:
I did in fact buy it for that great price today.
http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...e,Product_Name

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, are you saying that J&R, an authorized dealer, is sellling the 'RP91 for $425? I had no idea that any authorized dealers were selling it so cheap. I had heard that etronics.com was selling the 'RP91 for under $500, but they are not an authorized dealer. Does J&R have the 'RP91 in gold? If so, maybe I would get it for my second system. Of course, if it offered better sound quality in DVD-Audio mode than my Technics DVD-A10, I would relegate the 'A10 to my second system. :)

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
Im not to sure on the interlaced performance of the Panasonic RP-56, but it has got great reviews on picture quality in progressive mode. It can be had fairly cheap as well.

Although I do second the RP-91 Choice, ordered mine from J&R on Tuesday for 425. Thanks to Art Miller here on the board. Ask for Andrew at J&R, he was a great help.

-Andy

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Chip, are you saying that J&R, an authorized dealer, is sellling the 'RP91 for $425?"
Keith my friend, i'm not only saying J&R is selling the RP-91 for $425.00 but, i'm saying i just bought one for that price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now bud, how bout a "welcome too DVD-A Chip" ???????? :D
Thanks to Andy & Art;) I was going to wait for the Pioneer Elite DV-47A but, i really don't want to drop that kinda coin right now after just buying the Integra 6.2, ya know? I already have two SACD players anyway AND i'm still fly'n high on my 9K a year after i bought that player. This was the best solution for me at this time. I mean, for $425.00? it's a no brainer. Question is, do i move the 9K to the bedroom and use the RP-91 in the main rig since i already have the SCD-C555ES changer in the rack? I think that answer just may be yes!
BTW Keith,
the RP-91 is back ordered for the next week to ten days
which is no big deal too me, i'm in no hurry and i trust J&R. I told Andrew(ext.1034) at J&R that i had a friend who wanted the gold colored RP-91 :D , they'll be in stock as well. I used Andy's name, you can now use mine if ya like (George Engle is my real name for official stuff Chip for all else, thank god, lol...) They sell it for $499.00 on their site. The $425.00 is the special price. Just tell Andrew right off the bat if your interested, you have a friend (George Engle) who paid $425.00 and you'd like that price too. ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, thanks for the tip with J&R. I'm not ready to get an 'RP91 right now, but I will consider it. Some people have talked here about a bug with the picture on the 'RP91 being shifted to the left. I believe it is a firmware issue. Maybe the fact that J&R has the player on backorder means that they will get units with updated firmware. One can only hope.
By the way, welcome to DVD-Audio, Chip! ;)
The Pioneer Elite DV-47A looks to be a great player, but I agree that the 'RP91 is a steal for $425. When you get the 'RP91, the obvious thing to do would be to compare the picture it provides to that of the 'S9000ES. My guess is that the 'RP91 is either better than or equal to the 'S9000ES based on the way everyone raves about the 'RP91. If so, then definitely put the 'RP91 in the main system so that you have both DVD-Audio and SACD there. The 'S9000ES would be nothing to sneeze at for a bedroom system. ;)
By the way, I know you are happy right now with two SACD players, but what is wrong with having three? Works for me. :D

Chip E

Screenwriter
Keith,

From what i've read and heard from others here, the bug is indeed a firmware issue which has been resolved. There's a thread regarding this exact issue in the main hardware area.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip, I do remember reading about the updated firmware available on the 'RP91, but it could be that some merchants are still selling players with the older firmware. I believe the firmware issue was resolved fairly recently.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Chip, I do remember reading about the updated firmware available on the 'RP91, but it could be that some merchants are still selling players with the older firmware. I believe the firmware issue was resolved fairly recently."
Thank god J&R is outta stock then! Lol... I'm betting it's a lock i get a good one. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.