What's new

Good news star trek fans (1 Viewer)

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
I just hope the movie will be any good because there are alot of ups and downs in the movies so far. I always love a good sci-fi movie :)

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
I hear the next one could be great. I liked the wrath of Khan best. Good villain, the revenge theme was good. Playing cat and mouse through the nebula was interesting.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Then you should be happy Richard.

Nemesis sounds like a retread of TWOK.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
The script is disappointing and Enterprise is embarassing, mostly due to Rick Berman.
I have no hope for this movie and with Berman at the helm, I have no hope for the next.
Jeff

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Let's not forget Brandon (mop) Bragga's "contribution" to the world of Trek. I say, get the DS9 creative team to make some Trek movies, and bring back Nick Meyer to direct.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The script, IMO, was great. It had some similarities to Wrath Of Khan but holds up on it's own as an original Trek story. I predict it will be a huge critical and financial success.
It wrapped principal photogapy over a month ago and early word is very positive. November cannot come soon enough.:)

Luc D

Second Unit
I don't see how they could make more films withour Patrick Stewart, who has said repeatedly that this was his last Star Trek film. Since they can't replace him then they can't make anymore TNG movies. Does that mean DS9 or Voyager films? For the few moments where those series were actually enjoyable (last 2 years of DS9), I don't think Paramount would ever greenlight a film franchise from a mildly popular tv series. Besides, they'll change their minds after Nemesis has a disappointing Box Office take.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
They said similar things about Star Trek: Insurrection before it premiered and I rank that one as the second-worst Trek film ever (#5 effortlessly taking the bottom spot).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, if Nemesis is a success. ...

If Stewart leaves, then Riker can assume the capainancy--but, of course, there's a problem there if you've read the plot synopses floating around (thanks, Tino!).

It all depends on the box office. The last three features stalled out after around $80 million-$90 million. If this next one bests The Voyage Home, we'll see at least another feature or two.

Paramount, after all, is trying to keep Star Trek alive forever.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Well this is the last one for the Next Gen crew which they have already commented it being their last. Frankly im not interested in DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise so any movies based on those crews I wont be thrilled about. Hoepfully theyll just end it here, its been a good run but they have to quit sometime, im sure theyll milk it as far as they can though.

Arron H

Second Unit
I'm an original trekkie thru and thru. I also loved TNG but never really caught on to DS9 or Voyager. I haven't even watched Enterprise. I think that there are a lot of trekkies out there like me. It seems hard to believe that movies for DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise could catch on.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
No, we'll see a new movie with the original cast again, minus Kelley, of course. It will be titled 'Trek: The Wrath of Senility'.

Richard WWW

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, franchises tend to decrease in quality as their installments increase in quantity. Paramount botched the first Star Trek movie, but came back with two decent efforts that were faithful to the original premise and characters in II and IV. (I've always considered III to be nothing more than an excuse to put Spock back in IV after II made so much money.)

But now, there is so much "Star Trek" junk out there, like dead satellites orbiting the earth only to burn up in the atmosphere on reentry. The quality is really going down, and the newness is gone, because it's all been done before, either on TV or in one of the nine(?) movies that have been churned out thus far.

I still have some hope that Nemesis can turn into a decent movie, but they have to go somewhere that they haven't been before, to paraphrase the old Shatner monologue. Will they do it, or will it just be more of the same derivative schlock we've seen in most of the films of the series? Time will tell. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not going to wet myself with aniticipation.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
As someone who has enjoyed First Contact and Insurrection, I look forward to Nemesis... and any that follow.

I think Insurrection is quite unfairly lumped with Star Trek V : Shatner's Ego Strikes Back.

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Paramount will most definately continue to make Star Trek feature films, but after Nemesis, they'll be films without a specific connection to any series. Meaning they will most likely start using characters from TNG, DS9, and VOY as needed for the storyline.

And I also believe they will stop using "Star Trek" in the title of a film.

Norm

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Richard WWW wrote:
Trek said:
What have you been smokin'? The only reason for the continued existence of ST on screen is that, in the minds of the corporate execs and their marketers, it still represents very strong marketing opportunities (tv advertising, merchandising, licensing). They're not gonna drop their "brand" (at least, not on the "big screen"). First rule of today's marketeers: leverage the "brand". Every product---and certainly every franchise---needs its "brand"!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks