What's new

Good news! "Online Speaker Company Face-Off" coming up soon. (2 Viewers)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Congrats!

That is a $1900 setup. With that kind of cash outlay, you could have demoed at least pair of speakers from 3 of the internet direct companies. Did your credit limit go up?

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Actually, it's a under $1600 setup thereabouts because I am not getting the level 4 sub.

No, I just decided that I've been way overthinking this thing and it's predominating too much of time. I was absolutely floored by what I heard yesterday that I feel I'd be hardpressed to really find better.

The gentleman that I demoed these at had a room bigger than mine is going to be. He also had some irregularity shape to deal with and it was more wide open. That sound field was just ungoldy in there. I don't own SACD-DVD-A, but I will tell you that regular CD's suddenly sounded like something I have never heard before.

Simply put: I was there. That's how good the sound was. He was playing these off of the Yamaha 750 I think it is? (Whichever one is the step down below the RXV14000.) I have the HK 630 which I believe is a superior receiver, so... this thing's looking real good for me!

The highs were clean and clear, mid range was distinct, bass was where it should be... I can only nitpick so much after a point. If it sounded that good in this guy's room, it's going to absolutely envelop me in mine. I kind of went over the top because this is an investment and I don't plan on purchasing speakers again for AT LEAST five years if not longer. (i.e. when warranties run out.)

I use equipment until it literally dies in my face. That's what I'll do here.

HTD gave me an offer I couldn't refuse because I had two customer referrals. That's part of what sweetened this pot. That, and just super cool customer service and, as of yesterday, first hand account.

I have 30 days. If I break those pups in, take them through their paces, etc. and suddenly find I am not satisifed? Out they go! I very seriously doubt that's going to happen.

For me, the only way I am going to really have a fair gauge will be to have the complete system in front of me.

I know a lot of you are super hardcore audiophiles, and you have more money than I do! And time. I consider myself an audiophile also. I know what sound I like and what things sound good to me and don't. At this level, I feel I'd be really starting to nickel and dime nit-pick details. I just don't know how something could really sound signifigantly better than what I heard yesterday and what I am going to be hearing in about a week.

I just need to move on with my life! You have no idea what kind of clinic I have been through the past couple of months! I am burned out! ;) Enough already! I am tired...

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I totally understand what you were going through. It is a fun process...but can also be agonizing.

I was just wondering how you got higher credit limit, since you couldn't audition speakers before like craig and I suggested.

Congrats again...and enjoy.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Hey, Eric. Congrats on the speakers. Sorry I couldn't get to respond to your PM, but I guess I don't need to now :) Things have been really hectic at work, and I've not been able to respond too much to any of these forums I visit :frowning: Glad to hear that you've finally selected your speakers. Chris at HTD is a really cool guy. They are moving their office to a more accessible location for me to visit these days, so I might just pay them a visit to check out other goodies.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
The credit limit wasn't really the issue to a certain degree.

I just wasn't going to be able to hit up 2,3,4 sets of speakers at one time and play merry-go-round with several companies at once.

For me, personally, to really have an accurate demo, I need the entire system. Demoing just some fronts, or some bookshelves really doesn't tell me what I need to know.
That's why yesterday, I was so lucky that, here was this guy that owned the entire set!

In a worst case scenario, I have one company to deal with. If I end up somehow not being satisfied, I can deal with them one on one and move on to the next company.

I'll be surprised if that happens...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Here's something that troubles me.

My order shipped out yesterday via UPS. It's going from Texas to Ohio via UPS ground. OF COURSE I am going to be getting screwed over by the holiday weekend and those speakers are going to be sitting in some UPS warehouse for three days straight.

It's not anyone's fault, especially HTD's, but...doesn't that sound kind of stupid to you? For the kind of money these things cost, I wish maybe I could have gotten a slight boost in shipping to assure that these things got to me maybe by Friday instead?

I guess I can just about count on a damaged product when they finally show up on Tuesday. I don't trust UPS at all, especially with that much time.

Damn it...

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
What holiday weekend? The 4th is on a Sunday this year. The other shipping options are on the website and were availible to you.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Not sure what your complaint here is, Eric. UPS ground shows ONLY $45 for a set of pretty heavy speakers. Hardly any other place will offer that cheap of a rate. And also, what Chris Quinn said. :confused:

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
It's not about patience. Price is excellent, too.

It was my understanding that Monday was going to be a Federal Holiday in lieu of the 4th being on Sunday. Not sure if UPS will also take it off or not...

My only concern was having these pups on the road for so long, for wear and tear. I know UPS doesn't operate on the weekends, but since this says due the 6th, Tuesday, I know that's where it's getting messed up.

Please correct if I am wrong.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I'm sure many speakers have been tossed around (I mean shipped) via UPS. Your speakers are no different. I'm sure the HTD guys boxed them well enough to stand all but the most extreme abuse. You can't avoid the bad services of UPS, no matter what. I'm sure they'll get there in perfect shape (at least the speakers).

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Sure. If anything happened, there's no way I'd blame HTD in any event. Oh well...this stuff's done all the time.

Here's hoping! :)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
By the End of August, We will have a Pair of the following: Axiom M-22Ti, Rocket 550 Mark II, Ascend 170, Ascend 340, Rocket ELT-CSE, and possibly a pair of Home Theater Directs....

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Glad to see you still around, Craig. I think you have my email. Drop me a line sometime and let me know how things are, especially with that...issue.

I can vouch for HTD. I think you all will be impressed with them very much. This will be a hell of a shoot-out!

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Jon Lane and I have spoken... and likely will some more, so a Swan is possible. Aperion is unlikely, but welcome. When we reviewed the S-12, we got next to no response from it... which was disappointing, it is a great sub, especially with a beautiful finish and a $600 delivered price... Fluance... well... Can they compete ? All I know about them is what I have seen on eBay... I will check Audioreview... Finally, I am waiting to hear back from HTD ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks