Good news on the Paramount Canadian bi-lingual Grease cover

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Bryant, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Shane Bryant

Shane Bryant Agent

Looks like Paramount Canada is finally smartening up.

The new Grease DVD has only one of its spines bilingual while the other is solely English, and instead of making the front cover bilingual, they left it in English, and just put a Bilingual title sticker over it.

Good job Paramount, you're on the right track.

2. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    I wouldn't get too excited. Since this was one of Paramount's first scheduled DVD releases that got delayed due to legal issues and subsequently/presumably stored in a warehouse for five years or so, this is probably a carryover from 1998. Long before Paramount instituted the bilingual cover policy. Maybe not though.

3. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    The discs contain Paramount's new 90th anniversary logo so they obviously weren't pressed anytime before this year.

4. Jaxon's Dad

Jaxon's Dad Supporting Actor

Doug
    Rob,

That's a good point. Shut my mouth for the knee-jerk reaction. :b

Regards,

D

5. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

Does this mean that the Canadian version comes in a keepcase, or is it that rumored digipak-style case?

6. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

Well, since it is dual-sided I suppose it's keep case, since I can't imagine how you would flip over a digipak-case [​IMG]
    I hope Paramount keep up this trend -- that way, I'll be able to purchase Paramount titles from my Canadian retailer again.

7. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Has anybody ever posted any pictures of the actual case anywhere on the net? I am getting more and more curious and I won't order it for a few weeks until next payday.

I was under the impression this was a nexgen pak, sort of like the ones used in Anchor bay's Herzog/Kinski box set though, with a paper slip cover. Is this true?

A picture is worth a thousand words though...

8. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

The Canadian release is a gatefold digipak, I got it last week.

9. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

Oh, Paramount Canada seriously do not want my business I see.

10. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I don't know why they don't just print a double sided inserts. Then you can have French on one side, English on the other, and everyone is happy. I've been quite disappointed with current Canadian releases (Jay & Silent Bob, Beautiful Mind), where the back descriptions are written in a tiny font to fit both english and french on one side. J&SBSB was particularly bad, as you could pull out the insert and flip it so you could have a predominantly French side, but still with tiny font to fit english on it!

I don't want to start a national ruckus here in Canada, but I don't think my French county men would mind having a totally French cover option, even if it dosn't appear on the front when displayed in stores (presuming that the companies would publish them english out seeing as Quebec is considered to be the primary french market in Canada).

11. Yannick Martin

Yannick Martin Stunt Coordinator

Only the slipcase is bilingual on the Canadian Grease DVD: the digipak is english only. I'm just waiting for DVDCoverArt to get back online to print a cover and put this disc in a keepcase.

I just hope that the Digipak won't become the standard case for Paramount DVD. They are worst than snapper.

BTW, I live in Quebec and I hate those bilingual covers. Even if I'm a french canadian, I want ONE and only ONE language on the covers of my DVDs: ENGLISH. At least, give us a double side cover (french on one side and english on the other).

YM

12. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

The solution to this stupid mess is to ship with a bilingual version of the cover to tide the language police over and then have a fully English cover on the reverse side so that if we want the original cover we can just flip it over once we buy the DVD. I don't see why this is such a difficult thing to figure out.

Dean

13. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Dean beat me to it, that was exactly what I was going to say.

14. BradG

BradG Stunt Coordinator

Dean,

Why would the company go through the expense of printing two-sided covers when it is cheaper to just print on one side? Most people (I mean J6P) probably don't care. Here in Canada, we have been seeing bilingual everything for years. The amount of people who will order from the US to avoid the covers will be comparatively small (due to factors like cost, availablility and a lot of people not caring one way or the other).

Does that mean I agree with the bilingual covers? No.

However, the Grease cover is fine for me - some other ones have looked horrible because they have so much bilingual stuff on them. But, the movie is still the movie and while I don't agree with the practice, I would rather buy Grease here for $21.99 Cdn instead of ordering from the US and paying more after the exchange and possible duty fees are levied.

15. Shane Bryant

Shane Bryant Agent

Grease is only $15-something on amazon.com after share the love.

Throw in another title, use a $5 off $35 to basically cover the shipping to canada. Factor in the exchange rate, and the fact that you dont have to pay duty on purchases from amazon.com, and youll find that most titles are about the same and sometimes cheaper than up here.

16. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I know The Count Of Monte-Cristo and Monsters Inc had 2 separate version, one with Polluted Packaging and one with correct pagaging. I hope others will follow... 40 Days And 40 Nights is polluted as well.

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

18. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

19. BradG

BradG Stunt Coordinator