1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Good News on Newhart

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Rick Thompson, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

2. Jack P

Jack P Producer

If Fox is back in the business of licensing out titles then dare I hope that 2014 will *finally* bring us back from stalled purgatory "Burke's Law" and "The Big Valley"? If those come, then I will take back every nasty thing I've ever said about Fox for all time!

Brian McP likes this.
  3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I hope this isn't just a dream.

4. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer

5. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer
    I goofed up on my last post, but Zane Grey Theatre could be picked up with season 2 by Timeless as well as other shows that had pilot episodes aired on it, Black Saddle, Johnny Ringo, and The Westerner to name a few.

6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I was thrilled to see this on their site earlier today as I'm a huge fan of Bob Newhart (I also couldn't get enough of Mary Fran in Newhart - Loved those sweaters)! I'm hoping this bodes well for also getting The Bob Newhart Show off the stalled list! I've had a pre-order in for S5 & S6 of that one for *2 years* at Amazon! This one will be a rare pre-order for me!

7. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    Just this morning amazon officially canceled my order for seasons 5 and 6 of The Bob Newhart Show.

8. albert_m2

albert_m2 Second Unit

Albert
    Did anybody pick this up? I watched the show now and then back in the 80s and in syndication in the 90s and always liked it. I picked up the first season DVD and was surprised about how little I liked it, then today I see an article about Newhart in the AC Club talking about the release of season 2 and how Newhart was a show that retooled in season two and how that became the show that worked and did well (really setting up season 3 according to the article). I guess I wasn't aware how different season 1 was...

9. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Season 1 is the best season of the series. Michael and Stephanie were disgusting and any charm that Larry, Darrell, and Darrell had was driven into the ground once they realized that they had a good thing on their hands. Give me the episodes like the one where they find out that Mrs Newton is buried in their basement any day.

Season 2 though is still very good. The loss of Leslie in favor of Stephanie stung (But her personality still had some semblance of normalness during that first year), but Kirk was still there and the charm of the show was intact.

With Season 3 onwards I'd be in for but there were a lot of clinkers as they progressed.

Jack P likes this.
  10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I pre-ordered both S2 & S3. It's one of those series where I enjoy most of the seasons. The retooling of the series in S2 helped quite a bit but so did the change from video tape to film. I'm one of those who did *not* like the character of Kirk - he was abrasive, annoying, obnoxious, a royal pain. You knew when he showed up he'd lie about something, then attempt to lie his way out. His character was just too one-note and needed to go. I don't much care for the Michael/Stephanie duo, especially when they are the focus of an episode, *but* keep them apart and they are good additions to the case. Leslie was just too sweet and, like the Kirk character, needed to go. Stephanie is a good replacement, at least there's something to work with there. Larry, Darryl, and Darryl are good but were vastly overused in later seasons. My favorite episodes tend to be those which focus on the townspeople, George, and the few guests at the inn with Bob's reaction to their actions.

11. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Glad to see the "19th Anniversary Special" will be included as it serves as the perfect sequel to the last "Newhart" episode in its own right (even if it also contradicts the premise of the last original series episode that had Bob and Emily moving away).

12. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Second Unit

Chris H
    Dave Lawrence and bmasters9 like this.
  13. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I heard about that from SitcomsOnline. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get to the 1990 finale where Dick Loudon wakes up as Dr. Bob Hartley from The Bob Newhart Show.

14. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    Thanks for the heads-up. After the releases stalled a 2nd time, I was sure that was it for this series. I'm very glad to be wrong about that.

Though I don't want to get my hopes up too high, maybe Shout Factory really will be able to eventually release all remaining seasons. My shelf looks strange with the Complete Bob Newhart Show set and the Complete Bob set, with only 1/2 of Newhart sitting between them.

Happy to add Season 5 in May and saving shelf space for the other 3 seasons after that.

bmasters9 likes this.
  15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    :dancing-banana-04:Happy camper here!!!

Funny thing is I contacted them asking about this a couple of months ago and their reply was they had no current plans. <_<

Maybe this also means Uni is also going to finally re-release S6 of Zena as I got the same reply from them on that one.

bmasters9 likes this.
  16. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Glad to see this :)

bmasters9 likes this.
  17. upperco

upperco Stunt Coordinator

Jackson Upperco
    Anyone have the scuttlebutt about this wonderful news? Does SHOUT! have the rights to the rest of the series, or are they hoping to make deals one season at a time?

18. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    Hopefully, this means that Shout! and Fox are working together again. If nothing else, I hope that Shout! will be able to finish NYPD Blue, Newhart, and Zane Grey Theater. They also need to release St. Elsewhere in its entirety and finish Burke's Law, but I'm afraid that is asking too much, considering that this is Fox we are dealing with.

bmasters9 likes this.
  19. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Good question

My hunch is that it's for the remaining seasons, but without the existence of a complete series release in the Shout Factory trend of recent times, it very might be a season deal at a time.

20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Just keep releasing them and I'll keep buying them.

BobO'Link likes this.