Good news in the WS vs.P&S battle....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Nov 12, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I went this morning to get the $9.95 Star Wars dvd at Toys R Us. Their was around 30 people waiting to buy them when they opened. As we all waited in line. Their was a shopping cart filled with dvd's. 2 stacks were fullscreen the other stack was Widescreen. I was amazed that as people were taking them people were looking for the Widescreens. One lady took a fullscreen and when she heard their were WS put it back. Now, I know what your thinking Star Wars fans are probably techno savvy and knew to get the WS. But, about 75% were J6P & soccer moms. Maybe, we are finally getting through to people. When I was leaving the WS stack was finished and only 1 or 2 fullscreens were gone. [​IMG]

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

That's good news and bad news. The bad news is that the fullscreen stack will still sell based on the price, and TRU won't order based on which sold first, but the fact that all sold.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but this battle may have been won, but the war is just beginning.

3. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Good news is at my TRU all of the WS sold out immediately, with plenty of Pan and Scan; bad news is I was too late to get one of them (10 minutes after the store opened)[​IMG]

4. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

Same here. Widescreeen was gone, and the TRU guy was standing next to the line, trying to force a Full Frame into my hands.
    I said, "Widescreen?"
    He replied, "All I have left is Full Frame."
    I said, "See ya!"
    Grabbed a "9.99" flier, hustled across the street to Best Buy, grabbed a LOTR set and a Widescreen AOTC, and got in line. The store manager came out within a minute or so and said that the people two in line after me would no longer receive price matching on the widescreen AOTC, since the local TRU was out-- I guess they must have had a spy stationed there or something-- but that price matching would still be honored on Full Frame.
    I squeaked by, though. [​IMG]
    Still, it's a refreshing thing to see Widescreen sell out in minutes and plenty of Full Frame languishing on the shelves.
    Here's one thing I wonder: did they drastically underorder Widescreen because they thought more people would prefer Full Frame, or is Widescreen really a huge fan preference?

5. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Producer
    Supporter

Jeff Pounds-
    EXACTLY. The numbers reflect this too. It seems that
    when DVDs are released, ususally OAR sells better the
    first week, and then subsequent weeks MAR gains
    (and usually overtakes) OAR.
    As for the price-matching retailers watching Toyr R Us, yes,
    I stopped by my local Fry's Electronics this morning
    at 7:59am, and brought the Toys R Us ad,
    along with the one from Best Buy for the LOTR:FOTR
    for $49.99,
    and a Target ad for The Importance of Being Earnest for $15.99.
    I told the customer service rep I felt a bit bad about
    ATOC, because I knew they'd be losing money on it, and
    that I'd keep calling TRU, because I knew they'd run
    out quickly, and as soon as they did, Fry's wouldn't have
    to honor the $9.99.
    The rep, who was very nice about the whole thing, said,
    "Yep, we have a rep over their waiting
    to let us know when they are out of stock."
    Frankly, I was surprized they let me buy my copy at
    $9.99 ninety minutes prior to TRU openning up.
    ...I thought they'd make me wait. (Then again, I stoppey
    by there yesturday --I live right by them.--, and showed
    them the ad, and confirmed that they would, indeed,
    price match.)
    Mark

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    ?????
    It must be many, many weeks, after the titles are no longer charting, because any chart I've seen that tracks both has always had the WS ahead of FS (often #1 WS and #2 or #3 FS). And the WS is usually still tracking several weeks after the FS version has fallen off the chart.
    EDIT: I just got the new issue of "Entertainment Weekly" and see on the new chart that the FS version of "Mr. Deeds" seems to be handily outselling the WS version. Also, the FS version of "Scooby Doo" is still on the chart while the WS version has fallen off. So perhaps in the future we can expect more comedies in FS only? Sigh. [​IMG]
    At least the WS version of "E.T." has pummelled the FS version (in the first week, anyway).

8. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

I picked up Episode II on DVD this morning at TRU(widescreen version, of course), and I noticed that an alarming number of people had fool screen copies in their hands. I'm not sure if they weren't aware that their copy wasn't WS or if they simply didn't care.

The good news is that at least half of the folks there requested WS, although it is worth noting they all looked like fanboys so what did you expect? I was also relieved to see a lady in line who fit the soccer mom/Jane 6-Pack description explaining to someone else the virtues of WS and how it actually means you're seeing the "whole picture". God bless her.

9. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I'm so frickin tired of FULL SCREEN.

I stopped at K-Mart on my way home to price match AoTC. (All the other stores are much closer to home and I had a hassle-free PM there back with Harry Potter). Anyway, all they wad was mother frickin FOOL SCREEN.

So off I went to the bunch of stores near my house. Wal-Mart first. They had WS and they did the price match, no real problems. The guy looked at the ad a couple of times, (guess he hadn't seen it yet and couldn't believe it). Then he went to cut the ad out to keep, without asking me, using a frickin box cutter, and proceeded to rip the thing to shreds. If he loses his job at Wal-Mart he has good potential in the terrorist hijacker industry. Anyway I knew I was set then. If he did call a manager and they made any fuss I would have raised holy hell being their employee totally trashed my competing flyer.

Anyway, if all copies were WS, I'd of had it on my first stop. Makes me want to get every copy of P&S I can get my hands on, in every store I go, and grind my heels into the pieces of shit.

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am surprised they released this movie in foolscreen. Does anyone think that Walmart wouldn't carry this movie because it is only available in widescreen? Lucas always claims to be on the leading edge of tech. Well, by him caving in and releasing this movie foolscreen. He just set the battle back.

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

12. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

When I got to Best Buy around 2pm, a majority of the widescreen copies were already sold while tons of full screen edition just sat there not even touched.
    Of course, I bought widescreen (along with FOTR: EE and South Park) and left. [​IMG]

13. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

15. Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez Second Unit

The only good new in the WS vs. P&S wars will be when movies are released only in OAR format!

I am more curious as to the ratio of WS and P&S DVDs shipped to retailers. Sure it sounds nice that all of the WS DVDs were sold out, but if there were only one WS DVD for every 50 P&S DVD in stock, that doesn't do much good...

8^B

16. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Of course, even though I hate the dreaded P&S, the flip-side of this whole thing is that many people are reporting that in many places the WS is sold-out while P&S languishes on the shelf. Now if we can just get all the J6P's to complain about WS not being available, instead of just accepting the FoolScreen version, maybe we can win this damn thing yet.

17. Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet Stunt Coordinator

Weekly Future Shop flyer (equivilant to USA Bestbuy) came in the mail last week, and of course every TV advertised had Star Wars AOTC on it's screen. But, if a TV was a 4:3 set, it had a Full Frame shot (P&S), and if it was a 16:9 set, WideScreen was used.
    I think they should reveal the source to the picture, telling the consumer which DVD was used.
    I would imagine one day, j6p will one day buy a nice new expensive TV, gets the latest and greatest set (a 16:9). Gets some new DVD's to see on it, of course he buy's P&S like he always has, gets home to see black bars on left and right now.
    I wouldn't want to be the salesman that has to explain to him, that all the DVD's you've bought over the past year or more are gonna look like that now. Can hear him now "But that's not how it looked in the Flyer !! "

18. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

When I was checking out at Best Buy with ATOC and LOTR:EE the clerk asked me "You know you're getting Widescreen."

"I don't see the need for the other version." I replied.

Meanwhile, on the register next to me, that clerk bothered my clerk with a widescreen ATOC and says "he didn't want this one."

I looked up, a guy was trying to check out but had answered "oh no." to the "you know you're getting widescreen" question. Then he said "Well, they both look so similar."

I grabbed up his copy and held it up. "No they don't. The broken version has big blue bars across the top and bottom. You want that one?"

He just looked at me. I smiled and left with my WIDESCREEN copies.

19. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I went to the TRU in Paramus, NJ yesterday and when I first entered the store, the only ones available were the P&S copies. I proceeded to take one of the WS copies out of the hands of people who were pricing them. It seemed like the Paramus store was really prepared for this sale because I arrived a few hours after they opened and the sales clerk said that there was a line around the corner before the store opened and they still had plenty of copies of both. It just pisses me off that the only copies you see upon entering the store are the Pan and Scam copies.

20. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

Paul;

Actually when that new 16:9 set fires up J6P's old P&S DVDs it will stretch them out rather than show them in 4:3. J6P will never notice how fat the faces on the sides look . . .

(jeez, I'm sarcastic!)