Good news in the war on spam

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Paul_Sjordal, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/36403

If you ask me, this is worth more than congress' current boneheaded solution (their solution would only serve to provide spammers a list of valid email addresses).

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Can't say I understand the article, but I have never for a moment believed that the present insanity is unalterable.

It takes the sloth of big players like Micro-soft, and the "dashing off madly in all directions" of lots of geeks to permit the entropy of email and internet to flourish as it now does [​IMG]

3. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

Right now anyone can write fairly simple programs that generate email messages. These messages can claim to come from anywhere. This new authentication system would give email servers a way to filter out email messages that don't come from where they say they come from.

True, there are still ways hackers can send spam (by taking over a computer with a legitimate email account for instance), but this is the beginning of turning off the spigot. Having the means of verifying the origins of an email message is a big step, even if the short term benefits will be hard to notice.