Good News for Skilled Job Seekers!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Lee Scoggins, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have been reading a lot on the topic of the coming gap in skilled workers and business needs. I thought this might cheer up those looking for work currently. I personally find it soothing to know that recruiters will soon be back in a less imperious position than they are in now.

http://www.business2.com/articles/ma...,51816,00.html

I also downloaded the technical paper from www.nam.org (see Manufacturing Institute section) and it was quite promising.

The reason I think we can bank on this to a large extent is that demographic forecasting is generally very accurate and solid unlike other economic events.

Hope this is helpful. [​IMG]

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I hope it's true since I'm going to be out of a job in about a month. [​IMG]

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Darn, I don't have a subscription. Can you give us a quick summary of how they came to the conclusion?

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Sure,

The logic behind the argument is this (all driven by demographic data which is very stable):

1. The workforce will stop growing (flat for all workers from 2000 on and a big decline in Baby Boomer workers).

2. The average worker's education is expected to flatline. (Just 7% growth from 2000-2020)

3. Causing a serious shortfall in skilled workers (Projected gap of 14 million by 2020).

The article expects widespread labor shortages in the skilled area by 2004 or 2005.

The statistics cited are also backed up by several studies drawing the same conclusion.

I hope that helps Max. The graphs make a better case if you want to pick up the Business 2.0 issue at your local newstand...

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmm I think I saw that issue kicking around the bookstore. I will look for it, thanks!

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

So you're saying things will pick up in another year or two? Aren't all the "experts" basically saying that?