Good news for Silent film buffs with multiregion DVD players!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Roderick Gauci, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

Here’s some good news for Silent film buffs I chanced upon another Website:

http://www.mastersofcinema.com

“Eureka Video (UK) have exclusively revealed to MoC their forthcoming DVD releases for 2004. Titles and release dates are subject to change but the current schedule looks like this:

SUNRISE (Murnau, 1927) - January
    DOCTOR MABUSE I & II (Lang, 1922) - February
    THE TESTAMENT OF DR MABUSE (Lang, 1933) - March
    THE HOLY MOUNTAIN (Fanck, 1926) - March
    THE LAST LAUGH (Murnau, 1924) - April
    HERR TARTÜFF (Murnau, 1926) - May
    DIARY OF A LOST GIRL (Pabst, 1929) - June
    DIE NIBELUNGEN I & II (Lang, 1924) - June
    MICHAEL [MIKÆL] (Dreyer, 1924) - September

All this comes after Eureka's exciting 2003 slate which contains DER GOLEM (Wegener, 1920) in September, and M (Lang, 1931) in October.”

The only thing is that most of these have already been released on Region 1 and their already limited marketability is thus rather lessened by this. In fact, I already have four of them myself (denoted by an asterisk) but I’ll jump at the R2 discs of the first two DR. MABUSE films - if Eureka manages to get hold of the full-length 297-minute print) - and THE LAST LAUGH - if some significant extras are included:

· DER GOLEM (Wegener, 1920) – Kino[*]
    · M (Lang, 1931) – Criterion
    · SUNRISE (Murnau, 1927) – Fox
    · DOCTOR MABUSE I & II (Lang, 1922) – Image[*]
    · THE TESTAMENT OF DR MABUSE (Lang, 1933) – All Day
    · THE HOLY MOUNTAIN (Fanck, 1926) – Kino
    · THE LAST LAUGH (Murnau, 1924) – Kino[*]
    · HERR TARTÜFF (Murnau, 1926) – N/A
    · DIARY OF A LOST GIRL (Pabst, 1929) – Kino
    · DIE NIBELUNGEN I & II (Lang, 1924) – Kino[*]
    · MICHAEL [MIKÆL] (Dreyer, 1924) – N/A

In any case, I’ll be getting at least four of these Eureka releases: M, THE TESTAMENT OF DR MABUSE (even though I still plan to get the All Day disc, if only for the 1962 remake and its Audio Commentary; I sincerely hope that Eureka find better elements to work with, and of the full-length German-language version at that!); HERR TARTÜFF and MICHAEL. For the record, M is the only one of these I’ve watched so far and, since Lang, Murnau and Dreyer are among my all-time favorite directors, I don’t suppose I’ll find the strength to wait until Eureka drops their prices (as they invariably do in time) but I’ll probably end up pre-ordering them!

As for SUNRISE, it’s a pity that the R2 DVD edition will (tentatively) be released in January 2004 since I was planning on rebuying(!) Fox’s first three “Studio Classics” discs – ALL ABOUT EVE (1950), HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY (1941) and GENTLEMAN’S AGREEMENT (1947) – which have now been repackaged as a 4-Disc Set with SUNRISE, which is by all accounts, an essential disc! I don’t suppose that Eureka will top Fox’s presentation, but who knows…?

P.S. On that same website, it is revealed that Victor Erice’s masterpiece THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE (1973) will be released for the first time ever on DVD by Optimum Releasing on R2. I’ve heard a lot about this film which deals with a little girl who is hugely affected by her viewing of James Whale’s FRANKENSTEIN (1931) and mistakes an army deserter she meets for the Creature.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Several of those are on DVD in great editions from Kino and All Day Entertainment.

The R2 Sunrise looks very nice, though. [​IMG]

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

this is truly awesome news Roderick.

Sunrise R2 who would have thought that. This is also a fantastic website.

Looks like Silents are the way to go.

[​IMG]

4. Claes Ljunghorn

Claes Ljunghorn Stunt Coordinator

Amazing news! Sunrise in R2! [​IMG]

5. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

The same website also reports that Artificial Eye have Kenji Mizoguchi's THE LIFE OF OHARU (1952) slated for a 2004 DVD release, probably around April/May. I have never watched it though I had been toying with the idea of picking up the PAL VHS from Tartan Video for years!

On the strength of the only three films I've seen from him - UGETSU MONOGATARI (1953), SANSHO DAYU aka SANSHO THE BAILIFF (1954) and SHIN-HEIKE MONOGATARI aka TALES OF THE TAIRA CLARA CLAN (1955) - Mizoguchi has become one of my favorite film-makers. He is possibly the greatest Japanese director, surpassing even Akira Kurosawa, in my opinion. Hence, I look forward to purchasing THE LIFE OF OHARU on DVD as well as watch any other films of his which may come my way (though this is far from an easy task)!

By the way, according to David Shepard, Kino will also be releasing Dreyer's MIKAEL (1924) and Murnau's HER TARTUFF (1926) on R1 next year and, in all probability, will be using the same elements as Eureka's R2 editions (as had proven the case this year with Lang's METROPOLIS [1926]).

6. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

Ooooh! I hope we get these with full bitrate DTS audio!!! [​IMG]