What's new

Good News for OAR in mainstream (1 Viewer)

AndrewG

Grip
I just picked up E.T. at Target and they had a shelf full of racks for "Fullscreen" and OAR (Widescreen) versions of the movie. From the labelling on the shelves it appeared that they had originally been approximately equal numbers of each version available. When i went in on Thursday I had to look into one of the Full screen racks to find one of two versions remaining of the OAR disc. Probably less than 1/3 of the "fullscreen" discs had been taken.

Good news that in places that carry both versions the Widescreen version beats the modified version by a large margin. Of course the Target store near me is only carrying the "Fullscreen" version of Grease, and they proudly advertise that fact in the store. But I guess we will take it as it comes.

Andy

JarrodK

Grip
I picked up my copy of E.T. from a nearby Target on release day. They had obviously loaded up on the P&S version. I picked up my OAR version on a smaller endcap with mostly family titles, but it had equal amounts OAR/P&S versions of E.T. (about a dozen each). But their 'new releases' endcap had the entire top shelf dedicted to E.T. -- all of them P&S.

Jason Little

Agent
I got E.T. at Wal-Mart ($14.87!) and they had to go in the back to get more widescreen, while some fullscreen copies still lingered on the shelves.

John Stockton

Second Unit
It seems that the only way you can tell a widescreen from Pan and Scan copy is a sticker on the cover. The copy that I purchased has no mention of the words, Widesreen or Anamorphic, on the cover itself. Is everyone else's the same??

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
At my store, Widescreen is outselling about 2.5 to 1 !!! And this is almost always the case with dual releases, but not quite this bad on family titles. Go E.T.!!!!

Matt

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Speilberg really should have insisted this be widescreen only- it's ET, fergawdssakes!
When this was first released in 1988, they were going to make the VHS available in separate letterbox and pan-and-scan versions, but at the last minute they decided to just put it out pan and scan (the laserdisc was widescreen only, with only a brief mention of it on the back cover). They blew a great opportunity with that one.

Users who are viewing this thread