What's new

Good news about Walt Disney Treasures! (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Are the Disneyland USA and Davy Crockett discs worth getting? Assuming I can get the B&W Mickey disc, I will have 5 of the 7. Is it worth trying to seek out copies of the other two, or would I just be getting them to have the whole set?

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Mickey in BW doesn't seem too hard to get (heck, the local best buy I got my copy at has 5 of them left, albeit at more or less full price). Best buy online still seems to be shipping silly symphonies (at $2 over list). I was stupid enough not to pick up Goofy when the local Sams had them, and they seem to have disappeared recently. Mickey in colour seems almost impossible to find, so I'm missing that one. Behind the studio and Disneyland USA are available almost everywhere still, and I've seen Davey Crocket locally in a couple places, haven't decided if I want that one (although I do remember loving those as a kid, although I'd like to see them release Swamp Fox).

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
Are the Disneyland USA and Davy Crockett discs worth getting?
Davy Crockett? YES! The episodes were taken from the original 50's showings complete with Walt's original intros as well as the 4-minute "Next Week" promos for "A Present For Donald," "The Relucant Dragon & Mr. Toad," "From Aesop To Hans Christian Andersen," "Behind the True-Life Cameras/The Olympic Elk." and "Dumbo", as well as the end-credit voice-over promos for the theatrical releases for "20,000 Leaugues Under The Sea," "The African Lion," and "The Littlest Outlaw" in addition to a newly-produced interview with Fess Parker and a segment dealing with The Davy Crockett Craze.

Disneyland U. S. A., sad to say, is a different matter. there are edits done to at least two of the shows. "Dateline Disneyland (opening day at Disneyland)" removes a segment involving the original mouseketeers, & "Disneyland After Dark" removes some music and adds a "Trained Professional - Do Not Attempt" title to a firedancer segment. There is no disclaimer on the back stating that the shows were edited. Because of that, this was the only DVD I ever asked for a refund.

Hope this answers your question ;)

:) :) ;)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Just to clarify, when I said the Disney Family, I literally meant, his family. Roy, etc. Just like I doubt Walt would be against a general release as I mentioned above. Of course we'll never know.

And I'm not against what ebayers are doing. But I also don't agree with, "Well, they were 25 bucks for 6 months, now they're 100.. tough luck!" Like I said, that's what's killed other hobbies in the past decade. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know about the Disney Treasures until this most recent batch was released. I missed the only copy in town of Mickey Mouse in Living Color by about 5 minutes recently. Apparently it had been sitting on a shelf for ages, and then this fellow came in bragging about the money he was going to make. The clerk really didn't want to sell it to him, which is why she had no trouble telling me I had just missed it. :frowning: Arg.

I just think that if someone's just getting into the hobby, there should be some alternative that can be picked up. Much like the different versions of Disney releases like "The Emperor's New Groove:Ultimate Groove" vs. the normal single disc edition.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Note that a few of them are cut. "Clock Cleaners" on the Mickey Mouse in Living Color set, and "The Three Little Pigs" on Silly Symphonies. Those changes are documented in other threads, so you can use the "search" feature to find more info.
I did a search for Clock CLeaners and the only result was this page. A few months ago I asked about the Clock Cleaners edit and someone forwarded it to Leonard Maltin and Maltin said he would get back on it. Unfortunately my computer was down for a couple of months and now I can't find the thread. Anyone heard any news or have the link to that page?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A few months ago I asked about the Clock Cleaners edit and someone forwarded it to Leonard Maltin and Maltin said he would get back on it.
Quite a few months ago I mentioned that this short had been sound edited for language. I was told by someone on this board that I was hearing things that weren't actually being said. I have this short on videotape and I don't care what guys say to the contrary....Don Duck lets fly with a stream of invective. I saw this short in a theatrical re-release and that entire section of dialogue had been edited out and replaced with goofy sound effects that didn't match the original track in fidelity at all.

I believe this short is on one of the DVD sets put out by Disney and the sound effects have been replaced with re-recorded dialogue that replaces the original dialogue from years ago. "Clock Cleaners" was effectively censored for language.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
In the original version Donald says to the coil "Says who?" which was mistaken for F' You, and then says "You doggone snake in the grass!" which was mistaken for "You doggone son of a bitch!" This is why it was censored even though Donald didn't really say anything wrong.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In the original version Donald says to the coil "Says who?" which was mistaken for F' You, and then says "You doggone snake in the grass!" which was mistaken for "You doggone son of a bitch!"
I am going to disagree with the statement that he said "you doggone snake in the grass". The cadence of the dialogue does not in any way sound like snake or grass, while the cadence of doggone does not sound anything like what I heard. What I heard was "You goddammed Son of a Bitch".

I am not only going by what I heard. There was a section in a Disney animation book where "Ducky" Nash was being interviewed. During the interview he brought up an anecdote about one of the Donald Duck shorts where, as a joke, they decided to see if they could put one over on the censors. He stated that because Donald Duck's voice was so heavily garbled they decided to play a prank. He said that they had Donald use some "blue" language and that it was the only time it ever occurred. He went on to say that they were successful because the censors never caught it. IIRC, he went on to say that he thought it was in "THE CLOCK CLEANERS". I wish I could remember what book it was because I would get the exact quotation.

As for the "says who....F' you" debate, while I still say that he did not say "says who" it could be argued that that is what he said. I would have to listen to that again.

As for "snake in the grass".....no way!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks