1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Good News about Complete Bob Newhart Show (see Post 90)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Eric_Bee, Feb 24, 2007.

1. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    I don't even really blame Shout.

If Fox had done the set, they almost definitely wouldn't have included the curtain call ending.

Though I have to wonder... did Shout know the alternate ending existed?

This is one of those cases I wish someone like you, who knows what they're talking about, had mentioned this to the people at Shout (on Facebook or whatever) early on after the set was announced, so they could have at least been aware of the existence of the alternate ending and then either tried to get the original version of the episode or come up with the "only materials available" excuse.

Because you can never trust a company to go the extra mile for completeness without some prodding. Just ask any DC Comics fan who buys their collected editions.

2. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Well, I don't belong to facebook, so I couldn't have alerted them on facebook. As has been my experience in the past, even if someone had mentioned it to Shout, they probably wouldn't have gotten the footage. They would have said they tried to get the correct ending and then used the 'only materials available' excuse. Been there. Done that. So why bother?

To this day they still have not explained what happened with the Fat Albert set. I pointed out all of the errors to that set to them and they chose not to acknowledge it.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Best materials available = we assumed what's already on tape is good enough since it was good enough for cable TV in the 1990s, so we didn't bother going back to the negatives.

4. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I have to say one good thing for Fox: when the final season of Mary Tyler Moore came out missing that show's curtain call, Fox fixed it and offered a replacement disc. They were very helpful on the phone and I received the replacement disc promptly.

That being said, even if Shout knew about it, who knows what was made available to them.

5. Tooncy

Tooncy Second Unit

If Shout would have requested it, I bet they could have gotten it. Shout is a lazy, overrated company.

6. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Why bother? Well, because sometimes it will make a difference. Back when they started releasing Dragnet, I sent them an email and told them about Jack Benny's 2d Farewell Special in which Jack Webb and Harry Morgan reprised their roles as Friday and Gannon. They included this great bit as an extra on the 4th Season set. After people complained about the first season of Father Know's Best, they got complete prints for the remaining seasons. I don't know what went wrong with Fat Albert. It may have been that they really did use the best available materials. Doing nothing is always self defeating. If you try, you might not get anywhere, but on the other hand, it might help. As my father always said, you never know if you don't ask.

Ron1973 and Tooncy like this.
  7. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    Looking forward to getting the 2 final seasons when released as individual sets. I already have the other 4.

Can't the title of this thread be changed by the way? "Possible bad news" is no longer.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I have done this. Not sure if the new title is appropriate, but I think it works. If anyone wants to suggest something better, LMK.

David Deeb likes this.
  9. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    How about, "The Formerly Possible Bad News About Bob Newhart's Remaining Seasons that has Become Good News but Still Generates Discussion." That would really capture the history of the thread.

MatthewA, Ron1973 and Tooncy like this.
  10. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    The Complete Bob Newhart Show: from a snowball's chance to released on 4/22 (or 5/27, depending).

11. The Obsolete Man

Robert
    Better news: my set arrived today.

Each season is on three single-sided discs per season, which makes it 7 or 8 episodes per disc. The packaging is like Barney Miller... two seasons per case, so the six discs for S1 and 2 are in one case, S3 and 4 share a case, and 5 and 6 share a case.

The outer packaging screams "1970s" to me. It's brown... very brown, and blends in with the wood in the background of the photo of Bob in his office that makes up the cover.

The booklet has Bob's #751 numbered office door on the cover. It contains an essay by Vince Waldron, and an episode guide.

It only took seven years, but it's time to watch The (complete) Bob Newhart Show.

12. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    YAY! NO FLIPPER DISCS!

I can trashed my old DVDs and buy the complete series set. :)

13. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I've finished watching season 1 in the new set and each episode looks pretty much the same as the original Fox release. One thing that I did notice is that most of the episodes are missing the opening phone ringing and Bob picking it up as saying 'Hello.' Each episode still runs 25 minutes and change so they all appear to be complete and uncut.

I have done some further spot checking on the set and it appears that all of the bonus features (featurettes, gag reel, and select episode commentaries) that were on seasons 2-4 (there were no bonus features on the season 1 set) from Fox have been carried over to the new set. So, with the addition of each disc being a single sided disc there seems to be no reason to keep the previous Fox releases. Everything that was on those sets are on the complete series set.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

THAT doesn't sound too good, Brian...

That doesn't bother you more? It sounds like each episode is upcut?

15. Tooncy

Tooncy Second Unit

I don't think that was part of the season one episodes.

16. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The "hello?" opening was only part of Seasons 1-2. In Season 3, the opening changed to Bob leaving the office and closing the "Group In Session" board on his office door and then in Season 4 they switched to an entirely new opening and revamped theme of Bob leaving home and walking to the office (as opposed to coming home from the office in the S1-3 opening).

17. Tooncy

Tooncy Second Unit

Oops my bad.

18. Jack P

Jack P Producer

To clarify one thing, I think there were a number of episodes in S1-2 that didn't have the phone ringing part in order to run a "shorter" intro that allowed for more episode content.

19. Tooncy

Tooncy Second Unit

I've only seen the show in reruns, and didn't like the first few seasons as well as the later ones, so I don't remember.

20. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Does the new set have English subtitles?