Good News about Complete Bob Newhart Show (see Post 90)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Eric_Bee, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Second Unit

Neville Ross
    I have my doubts that Fox Home Entertainment would do what you want at all, especially for Newhart, and especially with all of the clearances that would be needed to get these appearances on the DVD box set. It would have to sell like Star Trek: TOS for that to happen.

2. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    So, what exactly is holding-up the rest of this wonderful series?

3. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^Not *may* but *are*. Here's a link to the official press release announcing the product:

TVShowsonDVD

It's a 19-DVD set that will be in stores May 27th, OR available from Shout! online store on April 22nd. It's available for pre-order at Amazon & Shout!. I placed my order with Amazon the day it went up (and got it for $10 less than Shout!'s pre-order price).

5. Nelson Au

Well, I was saying "may" because this seems too good to be true. :). So until they are really out, I'll believe it.It certainly sounds and looks real and official.That's great news you preordered.

6. Nelson Au

By the way, it's unfortunate the timing was such that Suzanne Pleshette and Marcia Wallace are not here for the new interviews.

BobO'Link and MatthewA like this.
  7. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

Wow. Didn't know that Marcia Wallace had passed away.

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Amazon currently has The Bob Newhart Show: The Complete Series on sale for $79.99. My pre-order has already been price adjusted. That's $13.33/season - a *great* price for all 6 seasons and, IMHO, absolutely worth the double-dip as the discs will be single sided!

9. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    That's the kind of news I was waiting for. I preordered early on just in case it might get reduced and I missed it, but with the mind set of cancelling if it stayed at the previously listed price. I was starting to think cancelling would be the way to go and wait for a deal of the day sale sometime down the road. But this is a price i can live with.

10. Nelson Au

I'm going to take a guess, based on the extras appearing to be the same as the Fox sets, that this releases is not going to be remastered. And that the first 4 seasons will be from identical sources used for the Fox discs. And it follows the remaining 2 seasons will be the same sources. I hope I'm wrong and the series had been given a once over and perhaps looks a little shinier.

11. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

Was going to hold off on this until I saw the price drop. Pre-ordered!

12. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Always preorder. The prices always drop, sometimes substantially, before street date.

13. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I am wary. I'll wait for reviews. S4 had rubbish transfers, easily the worst I've ever bought/seen for a TV series from the U.S. (I've seen plenty worse from the UK and Canada, even for relatively recent series). BN clearly didn't think much of it either: he was interviewed just when it came out and didn't even mention it, but he mentioned "everything" else he was peddling at the time. IOW the subsequent seasons may have been even more poorly treated...seemed to be the trend. Not going to reward them twice for this poor treatment, even though I hate flippers, but these ones haven't been a problem. I am surprised how well this program holds up though, least for me.

14. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Well, I got my complete series set of the Bob Newhart Show today and I did a quick spot check on the final episode. Well, we didn't get the curtain call ending credits like the original broadcast version. The only part of the curtain call we get is the final minute or so where the cast is clapping and waving to the studio audience. Bob is on the mike and is saying something but we can't hear it for the music. Then they all turn and walk off the stage. This is the syndicated ending credits. Sad. I really wish they had gotten the curtain call ending credits. I haven't checked out anything else on the set yet. I also didn't catch the running time for the final episode so I don't know if other then the curtain call, if anything else may have been edited. I will find out when I actually sit down to watch the whole series.

15. Nelson Au

How did you get the set a month early?

16. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    If you pre-ordered it through the Shout website they would ship it a month early. Why they shipped to out even earlier than that, I don't know. It shouldn't have shipped until 4/22/14.

17. Nelson Au

Thanks Brian, I forgot about that. That's great!

18. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    Here's where people will exclaim in mock outrage that they will not buy the complete set because the curtain call is not included.

19. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    I'm so outraged, I ordered the set yesterday morning and finally sold off my old single season sets for some cash to put toward S4 of Enterprise on Blu.

OUTRAGE!

20. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    I'm not outraged. I'm incensed! Just kidding. I didn't really expect Shout to go the extra mile to ensure that the curtain call would be there. They've let me down too many times for me to expect anything different. I do appreciate them sending out the set even earlier than they stated and there are some decent extras on the set so I can't complain too loudly over the curtain call missing on the last episode.