What's new

Good News about Complete Bob Newhart Show (see Post 90) (1 Viewer)

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
classictvfan91 said:
Here are my suggestions for special features: Bob Newhart and the rest of the surviving cast should be involved in the special features. For the Season 6 set, additional TV appearances from the cast should be included as special features. Here is a list of those appearances: "St. Elsewhere" (November 1985): Mr. Carlin from The Bob Newhart Show appears here. "ALF" (1987): Bill Daily (Howard) and Mr. Carlin appear. Newhart (1988): Mr. Carlin appears, Dick (Bob Newhart) thinks he recognizes him, Mr. Carlin's therapist tells Dick that she is trying to undo the "work of a quack in Chicago" (as in Bob Hartley, of course). The Bob Newhart Show "20th" Anniversary Special (1991, with a new introduction from Bob Newhart). "Bob" (1992): Jerry Robinson (Peter Bonerz) appears. "Murphy Brown" (March 14, 1994): Bob and Carol appear. "Saturday Night Live" (February 11, 1995): Bob appears in two sketches. 1996 MTV Movie Awards: Bob, Bill, Jack Riley, and Peter Bonerz appear in a spoof of "Braveheart". "George and Leo": The Cameo Episode (1997). CBS at 75 (2003): Bob and Emily introduce a section on legendary comedians. Nick at Nite and TV Land promos should also be included.
I have my doubts that Fox Home Entertainment would do what you want at all, especially for Newhart, and especially with all of the clearances that would be needed to get these appearances on the DVD box set. It would have to sell like Star Trek: TOS for that to happen.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Not *may* but *are*. Here's a link to the official press release announcing the product:

TVShowsonDVD

It's a 19-DVD set that will be in stores May 27th, OR available from Shout! online store on April 22nd. It's available for pre-order at Amazon & Shout!. I placed my order with Amazon the day it went up (and got it for $10 less than Shout!'s pre-order price).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was saying "may" because this seems too good to be true. :). So until they are really out, I'll believe it.It certainly sounds and looks real and official.That's great news you preordered.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
BobO'Link said:
Amazon currently has The Bob Newhart Show: The Complete Series on sale for $79.99. My pre-order has already been price adjusted. That's $13.33/season - a *great* price for all 6 seasons and, IMHO, absolutely worth the double-dip as the discs will be single sided!
That's the kind of news I was waiting for. I preordered early on just in case it might get reduced and I missed it, but with the mind set of cancelling if it stayed at the previously listed price. I was starting to think cancelling would be the way to go and wait for a deal of the day sale sometime down the road. But this is a price i can live with.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to take a guess, based on the extras appearing to be the same as the Fox sets, that this releases is not going to be remastered. And that the first 4 seasons will be from identical sources used for the Fox discs. And it follows the remaining 2 seasons will be the same sources. I hope I'm wrong and the series had been given a once over and perhaps looks a little shinier.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Always preorder. The prices always drop, sometimes substantially, before street date.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I am wary. I'll wait for reviews. S4 had rubbish transfers, easily the worst I've ever bought/seen for a TV series from the U.S. (I've seen plenty worse from the UK and Canada, even for relatively recent series). BN clearly didn't think much of it either: he was interviewed just when it came out and didn't even mention it, but he mentioned "everything" else he was peddling at the time. IOW the subsequent seasons may have been even more poorly treated...seemed to be the trend. Not going to reward them twice for this poor treatment, even though I hate flippers, but these ones haven't been a problem. I am surprised how well this program holds up though, least for me.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I got my complete series set of the Bob Newhart Show today and I did a quick spot check on the final episode. Well, we didn't get the curtain call ending credits like the original broadcast version. The only part of the curtain call we get is the final minute or so where the cast is clapping and waving to the studio audience. Bob is on the mike and is saying something but we can't hear it for the music. Then they all turn and walk off the stage. This is the syndicated ending credits. Sad. I really wish they had gotten the curtain call ending credits. I haven't checked out anything else on the set yet. I also didn't catch the running time for the final episode so I don't know if other then the curtain call, if anything else may have been edited. I will find out when I actually sit down to watch the whole series.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
If you pre-ordered it through the Shout website they would ship it a month early. Why they shipped to out even earlier than that, I don't know. It shouldn't have shipped until 4/22/14.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Here's where people will exclaim in mock outrage that they will not buy the complete set because the curtain call is not included.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Rain said:
Here's where people will exclaim in mock outrage that they will not buy the complete set because the curtain call is not included.
I'm so outraged, I ordered the set yesterday morning and finally sold off my old single season sets for some cash to put toward S4 of Enterprise on Blu.

OUTRAGE!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm not outraged. I'm incensed! Just kidding. I didn't really expect Shout to go the extra mile to ensure that the curtain call would be there. They've let me down too many times for me to expect anything different. I do appreciate them sending out the set even earlier than they stated and there are some decent extras on the set so I can't complain too loudly over the curtain call missing on the last episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks