What's new

Good News about Complete Bob Newhart Show (see Post 90) (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
BobGassel said:
What's going to eventually happen to all series is that disks won't be physically produced, they'll just be sold as downloads. When this happens all those "abandoned" series will be available in their complete form.
Yes, but just how many people will know how to burn the shows to disc? In fact, those downloads may not even be available to save to disc, you might wind up paying for a one time viewing. I think when DVDs are finally killed off in favor of downloads, there will be a major financial loss by the studios.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I hope that'll never happen, I don't want us to become more robots than we already are, I still want to buy and hold it in my hand!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I sure hope the last two season are still coming. Perhaps they can save some costs and package Season 5 and 6 together in one box set.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I haven't been collecting TBNS, but it's a shame any time a series doesn't get a complete release on DVD.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
The only thing I can think of to conquer this 'but no sales' problem is if Fox and the like just sold Complete Series sets. Just toss out everything on disc, save some packaging, and just get it over and done with. Simply tossing out three double-sided discs with some packaging as a test run does not work. If you toss everything out there (or at least multiple seasons), then it might work. After all, most of these lures are basically first season sets that are either the show before its prime or overpriced due to a shortened season or such.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Nick Zbu said:
The only thing I can think of to conquer this 'but no sales' problem is if Fox and the like just sold Complete Series sets. Just toss out everything on disc, save some packaging, and just get it over and done with. Simply tossing out three double-sided discs with some packaging as a test run does not work. If you toss everything out there (or at least multiple seasons), then it might work. After all, most of these lures are basically first season sets that are either the show before its prime or overpriced due to a shortened season or such.
I agree, they got the idea right with Get Smart

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Nick Zbu said:
But the only problem with that is the following:
People on restricted budgets may be reluctant to shell out $100 for a full season set in today's tough economic times. This is why a lot of companies, such as FOX are releasing The Addams Family for example in separate 3 Volume sets at about $30 retail price rather than paying $40 each for two seasons. Maybe this is the way to go.
My question is, do companies such as Fox have a profit minimum that they expect when X amount of DVD's per season are sold at a certain price? Or are they just comparing ALL season DVD releases to the marketability of the huge shows that draw the ratings of today like Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Friends?
I agree with the above that the companies SHOULD market shows on DVD like they do movies on DVD. Why don't they do something like that? There are 1000's of movie titles on DVD, many of which appeal only to a distinct cult following. If studios only put out top selling DVD movies, consumers would not have the tremendous variety of DVD movies that are available today. Maybe those on the board who are connected with this industry should contact the TV studios about this theory of mine!
Jack

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
According to some posters from Sitcoms Online,
They said that they e-mailed FOX and were told that there is no release date yet for TBNS Season 5. They did not mentioning anything that the series had been discontinued, so maybe there IS HOPE!
Scroll down to the later posts in this thread below:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=195454
If the link doesn't work, just past it into your browser.
Jack

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If momentum is moving in favor of these finally being released, then the thread title should be changed!
I hope it's true since with Barney Miller now getting finished, this is the last 70s sitcom grail for me.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P
I hope it's true since with Barney Miller now getting finished, this is the last 70s sitcom grail for me.
While 2011 has been a nice year for me, it's apparently been a fantastic year for you Jack (assuming this listing is correct). I wish I could say Barney Miller and/or Bob Newhart were grails for me, but they aren't. However, I'm always happy for my fellow collectors when their shows are released.

Gary "the 70's did very little for me when it came to sitcoms" O.

Mike*SC

Second Unit
If the rest of this show comes out, I think it will be the last of my TV shows wishlist. Is that possible? I honestly don't know what else I would want that hasn't come out. Either I will be a very contented man, or my life will be suddenly empty and devoid of dreams. Either way, hope this is true.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
[COLOR= #ee82ee]Suzanne Pleshette[/COLOR] is awesome, I may start rewatching all my previous seasons once this is fully confirmed as being released.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Powell&Pressburger said:
[COLOR= #ee82ee]Suzanne Pleshette[/COLOR] is awesome, I may start rewatching all my previous seasons once this is fully confirmed as being released.
Indeed she is
I love her in this show and movies such as 'If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium', 'Blackbeard's Ghost', or 'The Ugly Dachshund'. About the only thing I ever saw with her in it that I didn't like was a horrible movie that starred James Garner that was called Mister Buddwing. A sucky movie compared to both of their standards that isn't very pleasant to watch.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
I pre-ordered both seasons of this, and am so happy to see that it's coming. I'm thrilled that three of my favorite comedies (possibly THE three favorite) are all seeing releases this fall (Bob Newhart Show, Honeymooners, Barney Miller).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks