What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The 1947 version of Good News is another of the triumphant Warner Archive Technicolor Blu-ray releases bringing all of the musical’s color and fun to the screen in its brightest possible light.

Good News (1947)

Released: 26 Dec 1947
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 93 min

Director: Charles Walters
Genre: Comedy, Musical, Romance, Sport

Cast: June Allyson, Peter Lawford, Patricia Marshall, Joan McCracken
Writer(s): Lew Brown (play), Laurence Schwab (play), Frank Mandel (play), Buddy G. DeSylva (play), Ray Henderson (play), Betty Comden (screenplay), Adolph Green (screenplay)

Plot: At fictitious Tait University in the Roaring 20's, co-ed and school librarian Connie Lane falls for football hero Tommy Marlowe. Unfortunately, he has his eye on gold-digging vamp Pat ...

IMDB rating: 6.9...

Continue reading...

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken S-B
Hang on. Blu-ray.com gives it 5 stars for video quality and says: "The real good news for fans is Warner Archive's terrific new Blu-ray, which is highlighted by one of the label's very best 1080p transfers to date. It's jaw-droppingly good."

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Blu-ray.com gives the movie itself 3 stars and calls it 'disposable.' It's one of my favorite films. Ouch.
Clearly someone was trying for a laugh because of Ms. Allyson's product endorsement - Of course I would NEVER step in to that mess ... ;)

1611722665100.png

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Blu-ray.com gives the movie itself 3 stars and calls it 'disposable.' It's one of my favorite films. Ouch.

Don't feel bad as I think he missed the whole point of the movie in that review. It's a nostalgic, stylized homage to something that was already considered antique by 1947, which is its whole reason for being. It's exuberant (if highly lacquered) Technicolor comfort food and delivers precisely on what it promises, built in cliches and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samuel698