Good Neighbor Sam

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
My most wanted list of films is getting smaller all the time. One film though that I love is Jack Lemmon's "Good Neighbor Sam". Anyone know if this will be released? Was it ever even released on LD?

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I've been also wanting this for a long time! Maybe a Jack Lemmon double feature with "Under the Yum Yum Tree"

Charles H

Screenwriter
If Cary Grant and Frank Capra are worthy of a box collection, certainly Jack Lemmon is: PHFFFT, OPERATION MADBALL, THREE FOR THE SHOW, LUV, YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM IT, THE NOTORIOUS LANDLADYalso. Sony is not exactly classic- or consumer-friendly, but certainly a Rosalind Russell boxset is merited: CRAIG'S WIFE, THE GUILT OF JANET AMES, MY SISTER EILEEN, FIVE FINGER EXERCISE, A WOMAN OF DIUSTINCTION, TELL IT TO THE JUDGE,SHE WOULDN'T SAY YES. I do notice that this month and for the next two months, TCM is showing a huge number of Columbia classics (with a tribute to Jean Arthur), the likes of which I haven't seen since the very early days of Cinemax). I hope that indicates a good prognosis (PEPE is coming up in February).

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
I have a feeling that Columbia Pictures botched the film rights on this classic.. , or the film has turned into Vinegar.
Like it is NEVER on TV including TCM., It was available as a very very poor VHS recorded in LP mode by Goodtimes ( Not even Columbia Pictures ), back in the early 80's with purple faces and pink/green skies.., and of course pan and scan.
I had thought with the passing of Jack Lemmon almost 9 years ago,, his estate and his fans would have wanted all films to be released for posperity. This is a delightful comedy, in panavision, wonderful cast, 'Bob Hope' type comedy, and not a reason for Columbia Pictures to hold this back,, except for these reasons ,.,, or The film wasn't preserved properly and is now lost forever..
Pity...

Anyone here on the forums close to Columbia Pictures and find out some information for us??

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
A fun film and probably one of the earliest films with product placement with
the running joke of trying to get the Hertz driver in the driver's seat, which was a popular commercial, at the time in the days when there were commercial jingles.
I don't think the fact that Columbia leased the film to Goodtimes has anything to do with the condition of the film elements. They leased many films to Goodtimes including Close Encounters of the Third Kind for poor pan and scan
LP VHS releases.

Mike Frezon

Premium
This film holds a special place for me as it was actually shown to my entire high school at an assembly back in the mid-1970s. Don't ask me why.

The only other film given the same "Rensselaer High" treatment: Fail Safe.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
GIT YER PVR's ready.........!! This Sunday and MONDAY (Sept 7/8). ..
TCM is running both Under the YUM YUM Tree
and... GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM !!.

Mind you, in my area of the country here TCM is still (digital) 'analog' ., But it is commercial free, with actual running times and hopefully the films will also be true aspect ratio., I guess it all depends on what Columbia Pictures will provide for materials .. ( any one know?? )

If.. the prints are high grade true aspect ratio transfers .. could the DVD's be just down the road..??????

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
With the imminent releases of their Budd Boetticher collection and their "Martini" titles like Affair In Trinidad, Garment Jungle, New Centurions etc., it seems things are slowly but surely turning around at Sony home video. I would expect to see some Lemmons announced within the next year.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius

Too bad it was broadcast in pan and Scan ..
I'd say roughly, 99.8 % of the movies broadcast on TCM are OAR... but today's broadcast of Good Neighbor Sam was not. It was Full frame. I guess Columbia Pictures/Sony does not have a decent enough print even for TCM let alone a stand alone DVD that has never been issued.. Too bad.. I waited all weekend for this letdown.. Anyone associated with Sony Pictures or TCM like to confirm what happened? ..

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
wells its been over a month now and still no review on this film released to DVD in widescreen.. Did no one ( including myself) buy this yet.., I'd like to see any type of new review on this 5 disc box set that was released last month from Sony/Columbia ..
Even Ebay doesn't appear to have any for sale ..

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
I snapped this up the day of release and have enjoyed the films. Operation Mad Ball is the best of the bunch comedy wise. Good Neighbor Sam has a special place for me and I have wanted to see this film since the late 60's. The transfers are good enough not to complain, but they are not the best. The Doc on Jack Lemon is very good. The Notorious Landlady and Under the Yum Yum Tree are two films that I had always wanted to see but missed many opportunities. My expectations were a little high on the films themselves and the movie reviews are more or less right on.

If you are a fan of Jack Lemon's work, then this is a buy.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gil Jones