What's new

Good music/videogames speakers (1 Viewer)

Danny_JP

Grip
Hey all,

Im looking to soup up my room (about 30/30 feet) with a nice surround sound speaker system :D . While my budget aint so huge, I'm really big on audio and im going to want stuff of decent quality. Not top of the line, just something in the middle. Right now im pritty set on getting the Yamaha 5560 reciever after reading so many great things about it. Im looking to get a good set of speakers to go with it, with a price tag preferably no higher than $300. Thing is, while I will use the system for watching movies, im going to be spending alot of time listening to music and running my xbox through it. I've looked at the JBL NST1 and JBL SCS160SI so far. Im not quite sure how they would measure up with music or videogames. Any opinions on the speakers I listed or suggestions on other speakers that would better fit my situation would be great. Thx alot

Joe.K

Auditioning
SOrry, I misread what you wrote. I thought you meant a set, as in 2. Then I realized you had the JBL 6.1 system up there. I assumed you only meant 2.

Sorry for the confusion.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
The room is 30x30 feet? That's pretty large. It might be hard to find a GOOD speaker system that will be loud enough to really fill that room. If the room is smaller I'd say maybe Rocket Tykes.

In reality I don't think $300 will even get you "something in the middle". It will probably be more like low-end.

Since you need something bigger you might look into the Fluance SX-HTB at $259.99. That's about the only thing that comes to mind that might get you some volume. You could also look into getting one of the Onkyo speaker sets as well. They are decent for the price.

brad cook

Danny_JP

Grip
well, I was approximating with that 30x30. It's probably a bit smaller than that. Its just a big bedroom really. It's probably closer to 25x20 (just remembered it's rectangular), so I dont think I need terribly big speakers. Sorry if I mixed you up there. Basically, im a bit more concerned with the quality then the power output.

Joe.K

Auditioning
I'm not sure what Athena has to offer, but compared to high end floor standings, I have a set of AS-F2's that I use upstairs in the loft for music listening, you could check out best buy and see what they have in terms of a 5.1 system.

I always thought for what they cost, they sound very clean.

MikeNg

Second Unit
If your'e really big on audio, getting a full 6.1 setup for $300 will most likely disappoint you. At that price point, for that many drivers, it's just not that good.

If I were in your position (and I have been!) I would rather get a better pair of bookshelves for now so 2-channel listening is good, then add on matching speakers to fill in the surround channels later when the budget allows.

Onix on occasion has some of their speakers on b-stock, which is a great buy. IMO you can't go wrong with their products - very solid performers.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
"Basically, im a bit more concerned with the quality " then I agree with Mike Ng, $300 will basically get you very little in terms of 6.1 and quality. if you wanted to go the DIY route, the the ELF's may actually work for you. you just have to do some work yourself.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=ELF1.0DK

they have a 5 speaker package, Im sure they might do a 6 speaker package for you too, then you can do the dayton 10" sub for some good boom, and youll be set. do some searches in the DIY section for 'bose busters' 'elf' or 'tang band' speakers

Danny_JP

Grip
Hmmm... the bookshelf speaker idea doesnt sound so bad. Do bookshelf speakers usually have screws in the back to mount them on the wall/celing? (which i need) If so, then I think I might go for that idea and buy my system in pieces. I'll try to find those Onix speakers, but in general, how much does a good pair of bookshelf speakers go for?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

They range from about $100 to around $10,000.

I have Paradigm 'Atoms' in one of my systems, they are extremely popular, and I think well worth the $189 msrp.

Joe Maiurro

Stunt Coordinator
Cerwin Vega! Been using Cerwins for about 7 years now and they keep getting better! Never had a problem, and they hit hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks