good MP3 encoder

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike LS, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I've always used WinLame to encode MP3's, but lately (since downloading and installing the prerelease 2) it's been acting really buggy. For single files it's great, but I decided to take all the files off my IPOD and recode them to a lower bitrate to save some space.

To start with I tried to load all 200 or so files into WinLame at once and do on big batch conversion, but it errored out when I clicked "open" from the browse menu and I had to close/reopen the program.

Next I tried about a third of the files and it opened those and encoded them with no problem.

Since that first batch, it seems to have a mind of it's own as to how many files it will let me encode at once. Sometimes it'll allow 20 or 30 and sometimes is won't allow but 1 or 2. Most every time I try to encode multiple files it just craps out and gives me generic "winLAME has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" and I have to close and try it again with fewer files.

Anybody know what the problem could be or can you suggest a good encoder that doesn't have a problem with doing batches of files at once?

2. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

I use dbpower amp

I just did a batch of 80gigs of wma losses to 192kps without any hitches (my mp3 drive crashed and burned, my losses was on another drive thankfully)

I've had it for about two years now. Works great for me.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I like Razorlame.

The files from the ipod are plain ol mp3 right? How did you extract them from the ipod?

4. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

winLAME is using a beta version of the LAME encoder. I suggest to use the stable version (v3.96.1). As Scott L as suggested, RazorLAME is a good frontend for using LAME.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Just used WinAmp to copy the entire contents to HD.

I'll try one of those other encoders today.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Also keep in mind that re-encoding stuff that has already been encoded to a lossy format is a BAD IDEA if quality is even a minor consideration.

Basically, you encode it from the CD once and boom you've discarded tons of data right there but have a file that sounds as good as the bitrate you chose lets it sound.

Then you convert it to wav again and then re-encode, tossing away more data you can't afford to toss away.

Lossless compression to lossy compression once is fine, but after you've done that you should only re-re-encode if you absolutely, unequivocally, must - and if you do P2P sharing, you never ever let that re-encoded mush leak back out to the Internet at large... [​IMG]

8. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

I use DBpowerAMP as well, you can get the mp3lame codecs for it along with a ton of other codecs, its nice being able to easily do batches of files.

9. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I took the quality issue into consideration when I went to change the quality of these MP3's. My issue is that my IPOD has MP3's of every bitrate you can imagine....from 96 to 320 kbps and for my casual listening, the higher bitrates are just wasting space on the drive.

I tried a few and couldn't tell a difference between the originals on my PC speakers or earbuds, so I'm doing the whole lot.

10. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

EAC here too... Best I have found.... Use EAC to encode, Tag & Rename to do any editing, and mp3gain to nomlize (sp?) the music......

R~