Good Movies to Test Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Matt+H, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Matt+H

Matt+H Extra

I am going to check out some speakers and wondered what would be some good dvds to check out the quality of speakers. I have narrowed it down to two kinds of speakers and would like to demo the same movie on the speakers. Any help on the movies that would be good to test with is appreciated to help me make a final decision.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I recommend testing with music not movies (not just movies anyway), especially your favorite music that you have heard thousands of times.

3. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Yeah gonna be hard to judge quality with most movies. The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" dvd is always a good one, although its LFE mix is alot lighter than most other dvds I have.

4. Pauli

Pauli Extra

Might not be the first movie that comes to mind, but I was very impressed with The Lion King (Special Edition) DTS soundtrack when I first heard it and it has been my favorite movie to test out speakers with since.

5. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Diana Krall Live in Paris DTS. One of my reference DVDs.

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Judas Priest Metalogy. Has a DVD of a concert in 5.1

8. Chris_Liberti

Chris_Liberti Stunt Coordinator

Seven in DTS ES is awesome. The 1st crime scene with the rain is awesome for testing the surround sound plus it has awesome bass.

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Unless the speakers and system is set up in a listening room and properly calibrated, movies would not be my recomedation to test speaks with.

Im with John that music in just ~{2 channel and no sub}~ will tell you more about the sound type/quaility of the speakers your demoing.

Also, again with the others, make sure your using music your "very very familar with" and if possible the same receiver/pre etc, driving both brands/models of speakers.

Even adding yet the same speaker placement and room with the same power plant your using doing the work if possible with both sets of speaks.

Usually if you like the speakers sound/type/quaility for 2-channel music, they'll do just fine for HT. The Center (can some times) be an exception in certain speaker lines along with the matching subwoofer.....

JM 2-cents

Happy listening