What's new

Good movie theaters in London? (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
In two weeks I'll be heading down to London, England for 9 days. I'll be staying in Bloomsbury, and was wondering if there were any good movie theaters within a reasonable distance (must be accessible by public transit).

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Well we call 'em cinemas over here but...
Leicester Sq is three stops from Russell Square on the Piccadilly Line so, yep, they're close.
All the cinemas there are expensive but nice.
However, for something different check out what's showing at the Prince Charles Cinema which is a very cheap and very good Indie cinema just off the square.
Oh and if it's still running go and see ART at the Wyndhams Theatre just round there. It's really bloody funny...;)

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Hi David,
Hey where are you from? I'm from Brampton but I moved over to Liverpool for a year. You're right about the language though. I've been making a mental list of all the differences/ridiculous English sayings:) since i got here and I could fill a book. Especially being in Liverpool.
Anyway about your question. I asked the same question when I got here and although I haven't really been to many theatres in London, I was really happy with the Odeon at Leicester Square. It's huge (they say it's the largest in Europe) good sound system and they have reserved seating. Theo is right though it is expensive. It's 10 pounds which is about $22 or so Canadian. Ouch. And I thought the Paramount was expensive.
Anyway I hope that helps and I hope you have a good time.
Chris Dias

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Hi Chris,
I live in Thornhill. This will be my first time in London. I'm really looking forward to the trip.
A friend of mine might also be there on the Thursday before I come back (May 16th). We were thinking about catching Star Wars Ep2 some time that day. That was my main reason to be asking about theaters ... woops ... cinemas ;)

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Hey Guys,

Bizzies? I guess I haven't been here long enough because I don't know what you are talking about.

David, you should have a great time in London, It's fun. I'm actually going home for 3 weeks so I will be able to catch Star Wars back in Toronto. Which is great because there aren't any good theatres in Liverpool. I'll probably catch it at the Paramount because they've got a DLP system there.

Have a great trip.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
London's flasghip cinema is generally considered to be the Odeon Leicester Square. This is a giant single screen auditorium with an upstairs circle area and downstairs stall seating. It plays host to many royal premieres, including the upcoming Star Wars premiere.

The cinema supports every type or projection and sound format going, but never managed to get THX certification due to issues regarding placement of the speakers which they could not resolve (the auditorium didn't start life as a cinema). Dolby stuff can sound a tad boomy in there, but you still get great sound and near solid projection.

Episode 2 is showing at the Odeon (in DLP) from midnight on the 15th onward. Most showings til the 18th are already sold out (Advance booking started here on the 12th), and that's for the evening shows. I have my tickets and I am going down twice during the day on the 16th to catch it.

Other cinemas in Leicester Square include the Empire and a Warner Bros multiplex (as well as two more odeon multi-screen cinemas on the opposite side of the square).

The Empire is a lovely modern auditorium, big too, however the sound in there since 2000 has been abysmal, they have major centre channel issues and you just can't hear the dialogue over the ridiculous volume level of the surrounds.

The Warner Bros multiplex isn't bad. Typical plasticy feel to it, screens are of good size, their main screens (8 & 9 I believe) have DTS & SDDS, one of those now has DLP projection.

Dan

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Other great cinemas include the Curzon Soho, just around the corner from Leicester Square (Shaftesbury Avenue, in fact) and does fantastic retrospective double-bills (only on Sundays, though, but cheap - £5) in state-of-the-art THX-approved surroundings.

Riverside Studios in Hammersmith also does great retrospective double-bills every night, also for £5 and with a great cafe-restaurant-bar.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
One slight disadvantage: most American movies playing in Europe are the ones you may have seen some time before on your continent.

And may I suggest seeing one or more plays. This is were the UK excells.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks