What's new

Good Morning World (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Don't know if anyone caught this but S'more Entertainment has this on the books for a release. This is one of those great one-season shows from the mid-60s. The people behind the show were Sheldon Leonard, Sam Denoff and Bill Persky, all veterans of the Dick Van Dyke show. While Joby Baker, the star, is no Dick Van Dyke, this was a very funny show, intelligent and well-written. Oh, and it features a very young Goldie Hawn, pre-Laugh In. I just hope that they don't take the cut masters done for USA Network in the mid-80s and that they go back to the complete originals.

Now, if we can just get someone to put out He and She!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I have very vague memories of this show, but will probably get it seeing that Sheldon Leonard had a hand in it. This new releasing company, S'more Entertainment, looks like a company for vintage TV fans to keep their eyes on. I'm really looking forward to their "Mr. Peepers" release. And I do remember "Lotsa Luck," with Dom DeLuise, that's also in their pipeline.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Just got my set in the mail today (Deep Discount for under $20!). The shows look great, complete at about 25:10 per episode. What a nice show to put out. There's even some extras such as an interview with Ronnie Schell and even a clip of a news interview with Goldie Hawn from when the show was filming. S'more is batting 3 for 3 with this, Mr. Peepers and Lotsa Luck. THIS is what DVD is all about, rare, vintage, seldom (or never) seen shows, not something that aired last Tuesday that you could record to DVD yourself.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Michael, your "quick & dirty" review of "Good Morning World" has convinced me to get this set from DDD. I have the "Mister Peepers" release and I really like the direction that S'more Entertainment is taking with these "lost" TV shows. Let's hope that they can acquire the DVD rights for more of these types of shows this year.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

I hope Michael's review convinces a lot of people on this board to take a chance and purchase "Good Morning World". $20 is a small price to pay to get complete, uncut episodes of a fairly well-written show that was a refreshing departure from CBS's then-rural focus.

It is also another example of how a vintage sitcom can hold up almost 40 years later without ever having had to stoop to many of the low-brow tactics found in current fare.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Well I'm not a self-proclaimed reviewer as many people seem to be so lets just call it an assessment. I too hope that they can continue in this vein but of course it's all contingent on getting the word out there about the product and hoping people will give a chance to some fine shows that haven't been available to be seen. Believe me, a first viewing of GMW is a far better experience than a 20th viewing of Gilligan's Island (or a first for that matter).

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I had my local shop order this for me and I hoped it would be in, but I'm told it was bumped 'til next week. As I believe I mentioned on another thread, I used to catch GMW back when the USA Network reran it. If anything, the series does give an odd vibe of what "The Dick Van Dyke Show" might have been like had it continued into color seasons. Anyway, I'm looking forward to revisiting the series. The one episode that seems to linger in my memories involves Baker and Schell going to a nudist colony!

All I can say is I hope more oddities like this start peppering the dvd scene. As much as I truly do enjoy and appreciate a lot of the 'classic' warhorses, it's often the less-heralded, less-run material that sparks my enthusiasm for vintage tv.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I remember Good Morning World from when USA Network reran it in the 1980s. As with Dick Van Dyke, it was OK but I wouldn't collect it.

Anyone know why The New Dick Van Dyke sitcom from the 1970s hasn't been rerun in so many years? Or is there a cable network running it now that may not be on my cable system?
I know TNT had it in the 80s, but sporadically as a time filler and too early in the morning for me to even catch it once.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

was repeated on an episode of the 80's sitcom WE'VE GOT IT MAID and I believe even THE GOLDEN GIRLS. Never knew if it was a coincidence or a direct steal from this show.

I will be picking up the set, only Amazon said it wasn't released unti th 24th.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The mid 1990s Fred Savage sitcom "Working" had a similar nudist colony plot with the office staff in one episode also. :)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Thanks for your input. But by not supporting these types of shows (which you only deem okay), you lessen the chances of obscure shows that you feel are more than okay coming out. You want to see other rarities of this type then you should support them when they come out.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I support the TV shows I want to see released, Michael. I don't have anything against Good Morning, World. But what I'd like to see are more drama and action oriented. Some examples:

* The first (1/2 hour) season of Naked City. So far they've released 52 of the 99 hour-long episodes, but there are 39 more from the first year.

* The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (many were released on VHS years ago, but none are on DVD).

* The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.

* ROUTE 66

* THRILLER (hosted by and occasionally starring Boris Karloff)

* The still unreleased episodes of The Saint from the 2nd and 3rd seasons. (Seasons 1, part of 2, 4, and 5 are already available.

* The still unreleased seasons of KOJAK and Columbo. It seems that Columbo has been selling much better, since the first 3 years are available, but Kojak has yet to see the 2nd season and beyond....

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

Yet the announcement of action-oriented "The Lawless Years" is another series that has been essentially dismissed since the classic "Untouchables" didn't meet your standards.

Mary_P

Second Unit

It ran a year or so ago on GoodLife/American Life Network. I don't think it's still on the schedule there. I only lost ALN a few weeks ago when Comcast dropped it on January 1st, but I miss it already! They were showing a lot of fairly obscure shows or things that were popular in their day but just haven't been syndicated much lately.

Claude North

Second Unit
I have fond memories of this on USA Network, back in the day when cable networks filled their timeslots with obscure television shows.

Because S'more Entertainment is doing such a great job, perhaps they could pursue the rights to He & She and The Mothers-in-Law, two shows that I would love to have complete and uncut on DVD.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Claude, Paramount owns He & She, a show high on my "most wanted on DVD" list. I've always called it "Mad About You '67".

Jeff#

Screenwriter
You're wrong about that, Jeff. I enjoyed watching The Untouchables in reruns years ago, but I would never collect it. What I was implying in regards to the series in The Lawless Years topic thread is that I hope the production values of The Lawless Years (a series I've never seen, but would like to) is up to that of a Naked City. Obviously, a series set in the 1920s would have to be shot on a backlot and in studios. Naked City was a contemporary series at the time it was produced, so for Lawless Years that might be difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks