What's new

Good, moderately priced DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Peter Kasting

Auditioning
Hi folks, relatively newbie poster here.
I'm thinking of buying some home-theaterish components "soon" (anytime between immediately and 6 months from now), but I don't know too much so I'm looking for some advice.
I'm considering buying a Sony XBR WEGA TV (either 36" or 40"), and I want to buy a good DVD player to hook to it at the same time. So far I've managed to pick up that I should get a progressive-scan player (yes, I do at least know the difference between progressive and interlaced modes :) ), but I'm not to clear on the differences between various players, other than that. I have also picked up that I should want component video out (and presumably some good audio out format too... I don't have a receiver or set of speakers yet, but I intend to get one down the line). I don't care about multiple-disc changers or being able to record dvds. I'm not a super audio- or video-phile, but I would like to spend enough to get a good, solid player that I will be extremely happy with the picture/sound and will last me for a long time.
Can anyone suggest appropriate dvd players? If there is some feature set that will match up with this particular TV well, I'd like to know. If you can, give me a rough idea of the price, too. I'm not sure what a reasonable DVD player should cost, but I'm looking for the price/performance sweet spot on the price curve.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
i would check out some of sony's dvd players. they just came out with the dvp-ns715p, progressive scan dvd player for $200. i have read that it is pretty good.
you can see it here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks