What's new

Good Midrange speaker from 2.0 to 5.0 to 5.1 incremental upgrades (1 Viewer)

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
So I just put gene c. through ringer. He warned it's easy to get carried away: he's right... (and I'm sorry) What started as a comparison of HTIB systems from Best Buy turned into getting a set online then building a set part by part online. I think I found the receiver I want (Onkyo HT-RC360). However, I'm totally stuck on the speakers: For packages I'm looking at: Energy Take 5.1 Classics $400 MartinLogins MLT-2 5.1 $330 Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 $180 Otherwise, I'm looking at an incremental build: Fronts - $200 Center & Sattelites: $400 Sub: $250 What would be a killer build within those price ranges? Or would the speaker packages I'm considering fill the bill. (7.1 is not out of the question based off of my room configuration. I frequent a lot of computer upgrade forums/sites and often times they'll have best mid-range budget systems, then they list off a bunch of configurations that would work well within a price range. I guess that's what I'm going after here. Also if there are sites that do configs within a budget reviews that'd be helpful as well. Well pandora's box has been opened and my girlfriend will be none to happy with this :rolleyes: Thanks in advance, JOe K.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It is hard to say which speakers you will like unless you listen to them yourself. Looking at your list I would strike the Onkyo's off right away. Onkyo is not a speaker company. Both Energy and ML have fans but again, it is what you like. Given your budget I would look at this package from Fluance and add a sub from Lava.. Stick around you will no doubt get other suggestions. Good luck with the new obsession. :D

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
Thanks! More than one person has suggested the Fluance. My only issue with those is that they are towers and I don't think they'd look nice in my living room. Are those bookshelf ones wall mountable?

Spankydahamstr

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
tjcinnamon said:
What about the Martin Logan MLT-2's or the Def Tech 60.6's? Thanks, JOe K.
I would encourage a build part by part from Def Tech if you go that route. 3 Procenter 1000's or 2000's for the r/l/c is wonderful. I run 3 2000's with an Onkyo and MLT-2 as 7.1 satellites sounds great but as the others have said go out and test run them at a store. The plus on getting the MLT-2 box is that is comes with a Sub now mind you it isn't a great sub but depending on your preference it may do the job for you and save you some money. My 2 cents :) Good Luck and Happy testing!!

tjcinnamon

Grip
Real Name
JOe K.
I'm going with a paradigm separates 5.0 build (~$600): Fronts -> Paradigm Micro V.6 Bookshelf; Satellites -> Paradigm Cinema 90 CT Bookshelf; Center -> Cinema 200 Center (apparently this series is new). I'll get the sub later. Should I stick with Paradigm or go Lava for the sub? Thanks, JOe K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks