What's new

Good mid priced headphones? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Briol

Agent
I hope this is the right place to ask this question since there isn't a headphone section here. The headphones I use on my computer broke and I’ve decided I want some higher quality ones. I want something fairly high end but under $200 or so. Can anyone recommend any?

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Hmm. I was thinking of asking the same question. I want a non-wireless pair and also want to spend

Michael_Hml

Stunt Coordinator
Try to find yourself a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones. They can be found online for around $60/pr and are one of the best things available in that price range.

-Mike

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd say go Sennheiser over Sony. From my experiences with both types I just found the Sennheisers more musical. (natural sounding)

The EH2200 is a great Sennheiser set for under $50.

If you search for it, you may be lucky and find a Sennheiser HD-600 for about $225.

Another brand that comes to mind is Grado.

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
Check out www.headphone.com and www.head-fi.org
Remember, if asking @ head-fi, tell them if you want open air headphones, closed back headphones, what you will be driving them with, where you will be using them, what sources you have, if you wish to buy a dedicated headphone amplifier, etc. etc...

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Cheers on the info, fellas.
BTW, the only use they'd probably get is from my portable CD players and also during LAN tournaments with my friends (you know.. Unreal Tournament GOTY). :)

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
id suggest the Grado SR-80s, because i love them, but they are open aired and therefore not good with portables and LANs...

perhaps the sennheiser hd-280pros?

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the Grado sr125's. They are a great pair of headphones. Anything higher would not be beneficial without a separate amp. Also, have a look at the Sennheiser HD580's.
I haven't listened to them but they have been getting great reviews. Check AudioReview.com for some consumer reviews.
For Adam -Guide to Headphones

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
.. and thanks for the help, people. I just ordered Sennheiser HD 497's from etronics for under $45. :emoji_thumbsup:
Those SR60's from Grado look spectacular. However, I didn't really feel like spending an extra $20. Also, I'm not so sure my pc will put out the quality sound for those headphones. If I'm ever going to spend that much for headphones, I may as well get a seperate amp (which I didn't know existed for headphones until today.. how cool is that! :) ).

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Those SR60's from Grado look spectacular. However, I didn't really feel like spending an extra $20. Also, I'm not so sure my pc will put out the quality sound for those headphones
Nah, I use the sr60's in my computer. I can't notice a difference going from my receiver to my stereo. Now the SR-125's - thats a whole other story. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy with your senn's. They're decent headphones.:emoji_thumbsup:

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
Open aired means that it pretty much just is infinite baffle, i believe... it just lets the sound go out the other side. *chuckles* this means it blocks no outside ambient sound. If you want something for lan tournaments, dont get Grado's... do you want something to block out external noise or not?

Ya, some headphones really need an amp... those with an impedance of 120 ohms and above tend to...

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Okay. My HD497's came today (from etronics.. cheap pricing and quick delivery!). I'll just a quick review once I get a chance to listen to them. I figure maybe there's one person out there.. somewhere.. who's wondering how they perform. :) (pretending there are no review sites available :D )

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
I guess I'll have to be the voice of dissent. I definitely prefer Sennheisers to Grado's (I've used Sennheiser 570's and 580's). I purchased some Grado SR-80's based on the word of mouth recommendations on the internet, and was disappointed with them. They're seriously lacking in bass response, seem to have an unnatural boost in the midrange, and occasionally sound bright on the high end depending on the source material. They're also extremely uncomfortable due to the fact that they rest directly on your ears rather than surrounding your ears the way other headphones do (The foam padding is also very coarse). My ears hurt after about 20 minutes with the Grado's, yet I can wear my Sennheiser's for hours with no discomfort.

I guess some people might like the colored sound of the Grado's especially for some kinds of pop and rock music, but to me they're not as accurate as the Sennheisers, and definitely fall short with classical music. I listen to a mix of rock/metal and classical music, and prefer the Sennheisers for both.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
As for my Sennheiser 497's.. (I'll keep it short)
They're comfortable. They're quiet from the outside. They give wonderfully crip sound. They are balanced. They give clean bass. Excellent overall headphones.
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget the AKG 240S. Very nice cans.

Great positioning and bass.

If you have the amplification AKG 240DF would be nice or M401's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks