Jay Drummer

Auditioning
Just building my first HT, wondering if u guys think this is a good match:

pioneer vsx-1015tx
Polk RTi8 fronts
Polk CSi5 Center
Polk RTi4 surrounds
Polk RTi4 Surround backs

soon to get a 3 chip dlp projector, when they come down in price. any suggestions on placement or whatever you know that i dont (everything LOL)! My room is 14x14, open back. Thnx!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jay. Welcome to HTF!

The polk speakers have a good reputation. But you might consider smaller fronts and the addition of a self-powered external subwoofer.

The Pioneer reciever will have to supply all the power to those speakers and it may not be up to the task (I admit - I dont remember the specs on that reciever). Generally, you can get by with less amplification if the subwoofer is self-powered.

The 14 x 14 room could be a problem. You will get lots of reflections from the identical sized walls. Hopefully you have things breaking the walls up into smaller sections like doors, windows or even heavy bookshelves.

Hope this helps.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have RTi6's in the front, a CSi5 and RTi4's for surrounds in a 5.1 setup with two Dayton 10" subs. My current avr is a Pioneer 1014 but will be upgrading it soon or bringing back an H/K 520 from another room. As Bob said, a sub is needed even if you keep the RTi8's. The 1014/1015 is a nice avr for the price, especially for movies, but it's not quite as powerful as the specs might suggest so a powered sub would help. For music, the RTi's could benefit from a better receiver. And don't skimp on the dvd player. It can have more of an effect on the quality of the sound than you might think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks