Good match for Denon 4800 and Paradigm reference?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Mig, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Mike_Mig

Mike_Mig Stunt Coordinator

Well, it sounds like all the threads got lost right about the time I wanted to start reading about amps. If there was any info before I guess it is gone. So I figured I would just ask. I have a denon 4800 and paradigm 100's, cc, and 20's, and a servo-15. I have been thinking for a little while now about stepping it up some with an amp. I don't recall off the top of my head the specs for the receiver but I believe it is about 120 to 140 watts. I'm thinking that I have plenty of power for the surrounds and the center channel, but from what I have read the 100's would love more power. So what do you guys think, a great 2 channel or maybe a five channel bringing 2 outputs or something like that. I'm just getting into this so any advice would help. And can the amp be used for the servo-15, I'm thinking it is a powered sub and may not benefit?

Mike

2. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

hi mike

well, let me give you a startoff recomendetion, so you can pick it up from there;

you can power all 5 speakers from a single ht-amp like the rotel 1075/1095 (120w/200w x5), that'll give you timbre matched sound(seamless) for all 5 speakers.

you can opt for a two channel amp like the rotel 1080/1090(200w/380w x2), to power the mains only, leaving the rest for the 4800 to power, or adding monoblocks for the other speakers.

i'm no big expert on this, but i can vouch for the ht, 5 ch amp, a big improvment over reciever sound.

cheers

3. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

4. Mike_Mig

Mike_Mig Stunt Coordinator

Ok thanks for the help. That link helped. I am thinking now that I want to get just a 2 channel amp for the mains, 250W or more preferably. I am thinking of keeping this to around $2000 if possible, but I am willing to budge a bit. After checking Paradigm's site the power input for the surrounds seem to be accomodated by the receiver, but the 100's can take up to 350W. I would love to hear how that would sound. It sounds like people like Krell, Bryston, and Sunfire, but I have found no place so far online to get an idea of pricing. Let me know if it is worth doing for only $2000.

Mike