Good luck finding a Panasonic DVD-XP50 dvd-audio player--arrrgh!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LanceJ, Mar 8, 2003.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

At least at Tweeter.

I just got off the phone with them & the guy said they have been getting 4-5 calls a day for this one player. He said here in Texas they only had displays left.

Even though I bought my CD player by mailorder from J&R Music World in New York(?) I would much rather buy from a local store.

Why Panasonic WHY did you stop making this & and the RP-91?!?!

LJ

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lance, Panasonic has a way of phasing very popular DVD players long before replacements come along. Look what happened with the 'RP82.

P.S. I think this thread belongs on the Audio/Video Hardware board. [​IMG]

3. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Well, the reason I put this here is because it seems many music-oriented people don't read the techie types of forums (AND I've read several posts on the audio/video source forum where people bought dvd-audio capable players & are just "thinking" about picking up a dvd-audio title to hear what they sound like [​IMG]). And I'm looking for a dvd-audio player strictly for playing back hi-res audio--I already have a good dvd-video player.

Maybe I'll check out that Denon 1600--but it's not $350! [​IMG][​IMG]

LJ

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lance, fair enough. Well, if you can spend the extra $150 for the '1600, I think you will get a better audio component when compared to the 'XP50. Plus the video output on the '1600 is very good, so I don't think you will lose anything there. The '1600 doesn't look as slick as the 'XP50, but my bet is that it is the better component. I have used the '1600 a bit, and it is quite good. It would be perfect if it had a coaxial digital output. I haven't used the 'XP50, but I have used other budget Panasonic DVD players, and they are only so-so in the audio department. Just my $0.02.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Yea, I think the Denon would probably be better audio-wise too. But my tax refund is only $498. I'm still thinking about getting a turntable for around $300 + a decent cartridge but am having trouble finding one (I keep running into these rather primitive purist TT's with no pitch controls and weird platter or motor mountings that have no isolation system--for $300 I expect some real engineering!). And Technics' offerings shoot from @$190 retail to $500 but nothing in between. And I don't like buying something this mechanical used--they are too easy to damage even accidently.

I did find this cool looking TT though:
    Rega "P3" turntable (in colors!)

How's 8-track software priced these days? [​IMG]

LJ

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lance, I understand. Are you looking for a DVD-Audio player primarily for DVD-Audio or also for DVD-Video as well? The Pioneer DV-656A is priced around $200 and might serve your needs. It probably shows the chroma bug like all other Pioneer players, but I'm sure it handles DVD-Audio just fine for the money.

If I ever upgrade my turntable, it will be for a new unit. I don't like the idea of buying a used one for the same reasons you mentioned. The Rega P3 is a great turntable, but a new one isn't quite $300. [​IMG]

8-track tapes are quite cheap! You should be able to find your favorite titles for a mere $1-2! [​IMG]

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I have moved this thread from the music area.

8. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I got my Denon 1600 for $400, at my local AV store, and I didn't really haggle that much to try and get a lower price. It definitely is a great player.

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Has anyone actually HEARD the Pioneer 656A playing a dvd-audio? (about the only magazine that tests machines at this price level is Sound & Vision--but usually all they say about the sound is something like "real good" or "sounds nice". Huh? How about a few DETAILS guys?!). This player would only be used for music playback--I don't care about it's video performance.

Thanks.

LJ

10. BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy Stunt Coordinator

Lance, try for an XP50 at Fry's Electronics.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Sam: Thanks for the reminder about Fry's. There is only one in my city & it's 45 minutes away (traveling by freeway--this place is spreaaaaad out!).

LJ

12. BeatCrazy

BeatCrazy Stunt Coordinator

You must be in Austin? I've lived there, great place. Call Fry's first, but it's probably worth your drive.