What's new

Good low bass tracks? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Would like advice on really good bass tracks. Examples I have heard are Bruce Cockburn "Eating Fire" CD. The Baz L song "Wear Sunscreen". There are others, like Depeche Mode etc. I'm looking for songs to use to test a powered subwoofer like a Servo 15 or Mirage BPS-400. Any advice on tracks with good bass?

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Don't know if your into Porcupine Tree a British rock band that has never received any press even form those British music mags but...
on their cd "lightbulb sun" track 9 called 'Russia On Ice' has some real low bass notes.
I was playing that cd in my car where I have two amps PG and Kicker, Boston Acoustic speakers and a Kicker subwoofer and man when those low notes come in it really hits hard.
Of course most hip/hop music these days has low bass notes but I don't like that kind of music.
Pick up 'Lightbulb Sun' on eBay.
:)
------------------

Kolya

Stunt Coordinator
I don't remember the exact tracks, but these albums have lots of good bass:
Above (Mad Season)
Into the Labryinth (Dead Can Dance)
Spiritchaser (same)
Vegas (Crystal Method)
Play (Moby)

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
If you can find it, the theme song from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine has some very low notes in it. I downloaded the tune and put it on a compilation CD. I have a pretty good system in my truck, but the first couple of times I listened to the track I didn't notice how low it went until one time I had the windows partially down and saw my window moving in and out. I couldn't believe I'd never heard this before, but the notes are so low and quiet, they're easily overlooked. I'm very curious to know what the frequency of these rascals are. So if anyone knows please post it.
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It depends on what kind of bass you want, but Massive Attack's Mezzanine has some killer-low end, especially on the opening track 'Angel'. Bit of a patch album though. The kind of record where you wish they'd not bothered to record the vocals for half of it.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
My friend accused me of trying to rip his speakers when I put in U2's Discotheque single. :) Crystal Method and Chemical Brothers are also popular choices among the car stereo crowd.
------------------
but i don't want to be a pirate!

[Edited last by Gui A on July 15, 2001 at 06:57 PM]

JohanK

Second Unit
I used the Surrender album from the Chemical Bros. Under the Influence has some great bass. I also like Crystal Method "Vegas", Junkie XL "Saturday Teenage Kick" and Prodigy "Fat of the Land".
Gotta agree with Rob that "Mezzanine" has some nice low end stuff.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, in the unlikely event you can find it, the all time star at bass is probably LFO by LFO (the original, great one on Sheffield's Warp label, not that hideous boy band that stole the name). Its a certified hippie killer - the other half of our semi-detatched place at college had a bunch of guys playing bongos at 3am. 400 watts of speakers lined up against the walls soon dealt with that one!
(edit - if I remember correctly it bottoms out around 14Hz!)
------------------
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case" - Thom Yorke
[Edited last by Iain Lambert on July 16, 2001 at 09:20 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks