good looking center speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Simon Brooke, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Simon Brooke

Simon Brooke Stunt Coordinator

hi there, can anybody recommend a good looking center speaker. I am looking to upgrade my center, it has to look good as my fiance will not be happy with an ugly one sitting on top of the tv set. I have not set myself a price for one yet, just looking for recommendations.
    thanx in advance[​IMG]

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Simon,

What are you currently using for mains? That will definitely have a big impact on what to use for a center channel.

Brian

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Those fiance's are a tough bunch and they get tougher once it's legal. Any reason you can't use one from the same company you bought the front ones from?

4. Simon Brooke

Simon Brooke Stunt Coordinator

i have pioneer mains(floor standing) and the center was timber matched, but it was not that great quality, and i would like to upgrade to something better and better looking, i have not seen any good one's from pioneer maybe i should look at B&W or mission.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Simon, I think all things considered you might be better at perhaps redoing the front speakers including the center at the same time. In the end i believe it'll be less costly. Not knowing the marketplace in CapeTown, I don't know what you have to choose from, but set yourself a budget, and go forth bravely!

6. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

I can understand the importance of asthetics, but shouldn't the best possible *sounding* speaker for your setup be the main focus? For me, the quality of sound should be paramount, then, hopefully, the speaker is visually appealing.

Also, it's kinda tough to know what your tastes or your finance's tastes in asthetics are, and one man's garbage is another man's treasure.
    Personally, I love the look of natural wood. Someone else might like something more modern looking. Someone else might like something with an art-deco appeal.
    When you say you want a good looking speaker, what is it that you consider good looking?

7. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I like the Paradigm Studio CC get it in veneer and you can get some 40's to match!

I bought black ones, with the grills on they are just a box, but man when you take the grills off you jaw drops in awe of it's beauty, at least mine does! And my g/f agrees, they are sweet sounding too!

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

9. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    If you go strictly by looks, nothing looks cooler then a Martin Logan Theater center channel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope (for your sake) that your fiance is rich. [​IMG]
    - Mike

10. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    James,
    The Studio center channel only comes in black. In fact, all studio series with magnashield come only in black. So the only way to match is to get all black which to me looks rather industrial. Also, imho black veneer is a waste of veneer. I'd get the cheaper laminate if I was to get black.
    However, you're absolutely right that the Studio CC looks great with the grill off:
    [​IMG]
    I also kinda like the klipsch RC-7.
    [​IMG]
    Of course you could also try out the new Omnisat speaker by Mirage which is omni directional (and probably mondo expensive):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Kinda weird looking isn't it? Wonder how it sounds.
    - Mike

11. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit