Good light control???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim-K, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Jim-K

Jim-K Auditioning

In my continuing quest for "the right" front projector...I keep reading your threads about various projectors. Through your insights, and the wonderful articles in the newbie section, I am slowly educating myself about home theater. Some critiques in various threads include comments like... "It is a decent projector, if you have good light control." Would someone please explain? I thank you in advance for any reply. Jim...the new kid to HT!

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Light control usually means like you can control the amount of light entering your room.

So a person with a HT in a basement would have better light control than say a person whos HT is on the second level with a bunch of windows with venetian blinds.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

One other thing to consider is light control also means making sure no ambient light is hitting the screen.

Some screens are better at handling off axis light (ambient room lighting) than others. It's very important to match your screen with your room and projector.

4. Jim-K

Jim-K Auditioning

NickSo...Gabriel,

Thanks guys! In my simpleton newbie mind, I was searching for a more complex meaning. We are dedicating a room with total control of all light, so even in the daytime we will be able to black out the world. Could this mean a "less expensive" LCD projector may display a better picture? Still searching, and thanks again...Jim

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    to use a FPTV which is CRT based you need very dim (if not a totally dark) room. Some deals can be had if you look around for a older system. Most colleges etc have replaced these with cheaper LCD setups.

LCD set ups will not offer you as much resolution and will not hold black as well as a CRT system. The big plus with LCDs is they are very bright so you can have some amibient light in your theater and still get a viewable picture.

Regards

Gregg Loewen

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If you have total light control (which you do, very nice!), a relatively dim system will be ok for you. As Gregg pointed out, those are ideal conditions if you have the temperment for a CRT system. The picture quality of a decent CRT system will blow away most LCD's, DLP's, and LCOS/DILA projectors. For the price, you will definitely get a higher resolution, and deeper, inkier blacks with a CRT. However, tuning them is difficult, they tend to be bulky and heavy, and parts for them are starting to get more scarce (and expensive), as the industry moves away from that direction. As with all things, there are the goods and the bads.

Have you ever tried DLP? If you and all of the people who are going to view your home theater are unaffected by rainbows, a DLP projector might work well for you. If you can see rainbows or DLP's give you a headache, then there are still some good LCD for relatively cheap.

Maybe you can answer a few of these questions:

1. What is your ideal budget? How about your budget ceiling?
    2. What size room are you using?
    3. What size and format screen (4:3, 16:9, etc)?
    4. Can you see rainbows from DLP? Do you or any of your guests get headaches from it?
    5. What kind of media do you plan on watching the most? DVD? TV? HDTV?
    6. What are you using to feed this into your projector? What DVD player, etc?[/list=1]

7. Jim-K

Jim-K Auditioning

Gabriel...let me try to answer those questions. And, thank you and all others for showing an interest. This is truly the best site!

1: $5,000 to $6,000

***At the rate in which this technology appears to continually be changing, I am leary about spending more money frivolously. Knowing that the near future will certainly offer "better for less" is something forever on my mind (and my wife's, too...maybe more!).

2: 11' x 21'...dedicated room. Ceiling cofferd from 9' walls to a 10' center. Brand new construction. Pre-drywall!

3: 16:9 ... I think!

4: I have only witnessed a few projectors, this was a couple years ago. Out here, I can't find a store that displays a front projector. Most want to sell me a Yamaha DPX-1... however they don't even have one on display. I think I am truly going to reach a decision through reading newsgroups and relying on folks like yourself. There has to be a consenus amongst the fanatics...no? One point that I did not care for on a projector we saw a few years ago, was the screen door effect. The salesman said..."well, let's just soft focus the lens." To me that was a bandaid! Ouch!

5: DVD

6: I will purchase the DVD player that will offer us the best picture...I have read that Panasonic offers a real good unit. ???

Thank you again for being concerned. I hope I have properly answered all questions.

Newbie, Jim

8. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Jim:
    You are definetely in the ballpark with facilities for some fine front projection.
    If you haven't been there, visit Projector Central. Read their comparison document on DLP and LCD. This will give you a much better understanding of the two.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/
    Visit the DLP/LCD/D-ILA section of AVS forum. You can also visit the CRT section if you're up to dealing with CRT. There is a wealth of knowledge in front projection on that forum. The people there are very helpful and open.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/
    I have been disappointed with the picture dynamics of the DLP projectors I have seen, but others are knocked out by them. That's why you need to see them for yourself. You probably will have to take some time to go to Sacramento or S.F. to achieve this since you're in a rural area.
    In the DLP arena, the current hot projectors are the SharpVision 9000 and the ScreenPlay 110 and the Marantz VP-12S1. There are a couple of others that don't come to mind right now.
    In the LCD arena, some of the current favorites are the Sanyo XP21N and the Sanyo PLV60. This is by no means a complete list, just some that come to mind.
    Choosing carefully, you should be able to eliminate the screendoor effect from the right viewing distance with the current crop of projectors.
    Remember, there is not a single projector on the market that is "the right one". You have to do some research and zero in on what is best for you. I am currently sold that LCD is better for me than DLP, but that's based on the demos I've seen. You might come to a different conclusion.
    Deane

9. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Jim:
    If you have $5-6k or so to use, you're very close to the Hitachi CP-SX5500W LCOS projector range. That's probably your best choice with >90% fill rate (to combat screen door), 1500 lumens, DVI input, 1365x1024 resolution, 600:1 contrast, 12lbs, and whisper mode for down to 32db (36db in standard).
    http://www.hitachi.com/documents/Sto...SX5500W_DS.pdf
    You'll be able to get a nice large 120"+ widescreen and still get a very good bright picture with very little screen door (LCOS/DILA is currently the best digital technology for minimizing screendoor). Also, you never have to worry about rainbows.
    In terms of DVD Players, the $200 Panasonic RP56 does give excellent deinterlacing thanks to the excellent Faroujda chip (the 2200 I believe). They're replacing it in May though, so if you can wait a month, it might be worth it.

10. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

11. Jim-K

Jim-K Auditioning

I'm surrounded by heroes...thank you both! I shall do some homework, via those URL's. I'm am sure I can learn enough to be able to ask another silly question.

Again, Thank You...Jim

12. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

And definatley remember to budget in a screen for your projector. You can spend as little as 30 bucks for a DIY screen (such as a painted wall) or up to more than your budget for the projector for a top of the line Stewart :)

I would HIGHLY recommend taking a couple hundred of that budget and spending the weekend in the nearest big city that has projectors on display. On AVS Forums (link above), you can list a city and they will give you a good location(s) to look. It will be the best couple hundred you spend. You would definately hate to spend big bucks on a projector you haven't seen and then get hit with rainbow (DLP) or screen door (LCD) issues.

After looking at several projectors, I decided on the Panasonic 711XU. It is an LCD projector with MLA (Micro Lens Array) that greatly reduces screen door. On the brightest of scenes I can barely perceive screen door at 6 feet on a 120 inch screen.

It may not be the right projector for you, but it was for me.

13. David Broome

My main comparison unit was a high end Marantz (I forget the model number). While the colors on the Marantz were slightly better, it certainly wasn't worth the $4000+ premium (at a local dealers). For me, the picture is definatley a WOW. Out of the box the colors are pretty good. The scalar inside this thing (Cinema Reality Circuit or some such) does an exceptional job.
    I am running my DVD's through an HTPC, and the picture is stunning. If you have a progressive scan DVD player (such as the Panny RP56) or an HTPC, you will be floored. I ran some through my XBox, and while the picture was passable in my eyes (my wife, bless her, couldn't really tell the difference [​IMG] ), it won't compare to a good progressive scan.
    One good thing about this PJ is the ability to accept YPbPr signals OR VGA signals through the VGA ports, so if you play XBox with the HiDef pack or have a DVD player that puts out YPbPr signals, you won't need a transcoder, or have to run it through SVideo or dScaler. You'll just need a VGA breakout cable such as the one I got from a2zcables.com
    The bulb life is 4,000 hours in econo mode, and that is perfectly fine when you are in a light controled room. For kicks, I took it outside and shone it up on my house (22 foot wide picture, can't wait for spring and the 'drive-in movie night') and I could definately tell a difference then, but in a normal room, the nearly silent econo mode is plenty adequate.
    I can't comment on the 75U, as that projector wasn't out when I got mine, and since I bought, I am not looking at newer equipment.
    I have done some real tweaking since I put up the pictures, but you can go to http://www.davidbroome.com (then click on Pictures-->Home Theater) to see some images of the pj fed by different pictures. Though the pictures don't do it justice at all (as you will see, I stink at photography)...

14. David Broome

Pretty much yes on all accounts. After looking at the photos compared to the real image, I almost didn't even put them up. It's not a very good representation of the projector.

If the lumens are indeed the only difference between the two, then I would say definately get the 75U. Unless you can't control any light in the room, of course. In Econo Mode on the 711XU (1200), I can still have enough light on so my wife can read while I watch a movie if needed...