Good LCD for gaming, do they exist?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Peter Loan, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Prices are down so I'm thinking about purchasing a LCD monitor. I know that the response time and other visual anomalies associated to LCDs have given them the rap of being poor for playing games. I'm thinking about getting this one because of the 16ms response time:

Hitachi LCD

Anyone have any advice?

2. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

A day and 20 hits...Admin, can I be moved to the Video Game Hardware section please?

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Wow, you're in luck Tom's Hardware just came out with a new feature on this. I found this to be most surprising:

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Grrr, thanks a lot Peter.. I just ordered a Q17 from PCsupplysource.com. :b I do game a lot and this 30+ms 15" Viewsonic ain't cuttin it!

5. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Sorry about that Scott[​IMG] What about DVI? My Radeon Pro 9500 has it and I've heard that the picture is better with that type of connection. I guess I'll look for one of these 20ms LCDs with DVI output. This is going to be a long term investment for me, so I want to get this right.

6. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Oh wow, looks like the Hyundai Q17 has the DVI output. I guess I'll go for this one!

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

On the whole gaming on LCD works fine, but you do need to have a machine that is capable of running your games at the panels preferred resolution. Ie, if you get a panel with 1280x1024 resolution, you need a gaming computer with the oomph to spin games at that resolution too if you want good visuals.

If you play at any lesser resolution, the panel itself does scaling, and boy are you looking at jaggies and other artifacts in that case.

CRT screens are still better for games, IMHO, but I do prefer LCD's for just about everything else.