What's new

Good LCD for gaming, do they exist? (1 Viewer)

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Prices are down so I'm thinking about purchasing a LCD monitor. I know that the response time and other visual anomalies associated to LCDs have given them the rap of being poor for playing games. I'm thinking about getting this one because of the 16ms response time:

Hitachi LCD

Anyone have any advice?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Wow, you're in luck Tom's Hardware just came out with a new feature on this. I found this to be most surprising:
When we tested the first monitors of this kind, the Iiyama AS4314UTG and Hitachi CML174SXW, we were surprised to find much less afterglow on the 20-ms monitor than on the 16-ms. We have gone into this matter since then, and it turns out that the term 16 ms is exaggerated. 16 ms (max.) would be more accurate. If the manufacturers were really frank about this, they would indicate that 16-ms panels only display 262,000 colors instead of the usual 16 million.
So anything labeled with a 16ms response time is a panel from AU Optronics, and a 20ms repsonse is from Hyundai. It seems AU was cutting corners to achieve less afterglow than normal, but it's a HUGE decrease in color fidelity. Looks like the Hyundai Q17 is a great buy not only because it's cheap, but because it displays the image better *with* less afterglow.

http://www17.tomshardware.com/displa...626/index.html

*Edit- seems to be sold out at the moment but it's going for $379 shipped at Newegg!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Grrr, thanks a lot Peter.. I just ordered a Q17 from PCsupplysource.com. :b I do game a lot and this 30+ms 15" Viewsonic ain't cuttin it!

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Sorry about that Scott:) What about DVI? My Radeon Pro 9500 has it and I've heard that the picture is better with that type of connection. I guess I'll look for one of these 20ms LCDs with DVI output. This is going to be a long term investment for me, so I want to get this right.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
On the whole gaming on LCD works fine, but you do need to have a machine that is capable of running your games at the panels preferred resolution. Ie, if you get a panel with 1280x1024 resolution, you need a gaming computer with the oomph to spin games at that resolution too if you want good visuals.

If you play at any lesser resolution, the panel itself does scaling, and boy are you looking at jaggies and other artifacts in that case.

CRT screens are still better for games, IMHO, but I do prefer LCD's for just about everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apearson28
Recent bookmarks