Good Interview on Why Power Quality Matters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Yeah, that's a good article. I have read similar thought from a couple designers/manufacturers (Charles Hanson-Ayre, and the designer at Camelot Technologies) about the current state of wall-outlet AC and the trash traded amongst components.

Really makes one wonder. Thanks.

BOK

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    You are very Welcome Brian.

Charles Hanson is quite sharp on this as well. There is really a lot to this audio business.

4. Brian OK

Ah, Lee,
    I suspect this thread will tank like many important ones have done which deserve serious merit.
    Damn shame, too. So I bump for a day ;^)
    This one deserves to linger as it cuts to the heart of the matter here.... maximizing audio (and video for that matter) quality as the "juice comes out of the can"... a reference to the 2 part Widescreen Review article a couple of years ago (author escapes me now) about AC and the means to deal with it.
    But, I should mention that I left out some others who have dealt with AC, it's plague and what they do to deal with it.... oops, but you know of them......
    Chris Hoff of BPT and Jon Risch, and of course, Mike VansEvers (been saying it for years). These three have talked in depth about how much our systems have to cope with bad AC, and the pitfalls.
    Oh, well,
    a few things I do to deal with AC, less a balanced power unit.
    * unplug my CDP transport BEFORE I play a DVD (and my premise is that that both units are plugged into the same "power strip/power conditioner/ surge protector...etc).
    You may be startled that your "idle"/ power on though" CD players is spewing audio hash and video interference unknowingly. Lowering the noise floor is the goal here, any way you can.
    *install a CATV 75 ohm ground Isolator if you use CATV (even if you don't have a "ground loop" per say). I use the Jenson ISO-MAXVR-IFF.
    *install dedicated circuits for amps and digital gear (separate for each other)
    *purchase a quality line conditioner for your digital gear only. I use the Jon Risch designed unit from DIY.CABLE.COM with silver plated ACME P&S outlets. Amps of any kind should be on a dedicated circuit if possible. As mentioned, switching power supply components (like DVD and CD players, and you TV/RPTV) are the bloodiest offenders alive for line trash amongst each other. Clamp RF filters on these power cords and observe if you see/hear a difference. See below... I use the Highwire Power Wrap device for fixed power cords i.e. my RPTV and Yam DSP-A1 (strictly used as a processor only as I have all outboard amps). This Highwire RFI/EMI Power wrap device truly works. See WWW.AMUSICDIRECT.COM for the Highwire @about $29ea.
    *buy and install RF snap on filters from RS and Audioquest (your choice) on ALL computers and refrigerators. Basically, attach these filters to ALL switching power suppliers in your house. And turn off all halogen/track lighting in your house when playback is real time.
    I'm done, tis' late
    BOK

5. Dan Pawlowski

Dan Pawlowski Stunt Coordinator

6. Brian OK

Dan,

Sounds like you heeded your own call for buyer beware.... and saved yourself a load of dollars. Congrats--- you lucky Canadians.

BOK

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well I don't know about clearing up anything as the positive-feedback link doesn't delve into specifics or the reasons why an individual using this approach would find it particularly beneficial in their particular application. It is, intentionally so, vague. Nor does the link, which in all honesty is essentially an advertisement for Equi-Tech, present other alternatives that may or may not prove to be of superior benefit. Information is provided that suggests that notable organizations are employing Equ-Tech products as in the following excerpt.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee