Good interlaced dvd players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean_M, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Dean_M

Dean_M Second Unit

My old Toshiba player finally gave up the ghost last night, and I'd like to order a new unit today. I don't have HDTV, and no plans to get one in the near future. I live so far out in the middle of no place that I'm lucky I have sunshine out here, nevermind HDTV. [​IMG] So, I'm looking for a good interlaced player in the $400 - $500 range. Although I don't have a clue of what I should be looking for, I would like to find a unit that does a decent job of playing Redbook CD's as well as providing good picture quality. So far I've found the NAD T531 and the Sony DVP NS900V. I know that the Sony is a progressive unit, but I see that it plays SACD's and was thinking that it might do a good job with redbooks as well.
    Are there any other players that I should consider?
    Dean

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Why even spend that much, Dean? Terrific prog-scan players can be found for less that $200.

But just last Friday, I took delivery of a Toshiba SD-2800 interlaced player for my bedroom system--bought it for a measely $140 or so from Buy.com. Performs like a champ. But, then, most DVD players are so close to each other in performance it's ridiculous.

Overall, though, you might consider the prog-scan Sony DVP-N700S. It's a superb performer, and when you're ready to upgrade to prog scan-capable display, the little Sony will be there for you--and for less than $250, depending on where you shop.

3. David Werner

David Werner Stunt Coordinator

4. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

David, any glitches with the player, like reported on Audio Review?

Also, do you know if the CD sound is close to the D300 or D500 cd players?

Thanks,

Jeff

5. Dean_M

Dean_M Second Unit

Jack - The reason that I'm looking to spend so much is that the player will be used for CD's most of the time. If I could find a DVD player that does a good job with CD's for under $200, I'd be happy as a clam. [​IMG] I'm looking at the interlaced players because by the time I get around to upgrading to HDTV, I'll be ready to upgrade the player as well. Where I live satellite is the only option for TV, which would require more of an investment for HD than I'm willing to spend for so little pay-off.
    I've looked at the Sony players and found the NS500V for $185, which seems to have all the same specs as the NS900V except that it's an interlaced player. If a player is equipped to play SACD's, does that give it any kind of edge over non SACD equpped players for playing Redbook CD's?
    David - Thanks for the tip on the Cambridge player. I'm adding it to my short list. Are there any reviews of this unit available online other than Audio Review?
    Dean

6. David Werner

David Werner Stunt Coordinator

Jeff- I do not have any CD's without gaps between tracks so I cannot confirm the problems encountered by ravi singh on his summary on audioreview.
    Only way I could audition this player was mail order, can't help you with the comparisions to their dedicated CD players, some have commented the DVD player uses the D300's audio components. All I know is that is sounds beautiful [​IMG]
    Dean- Only other I found was
    http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2002/0303.html