Good interlaced DVD player with seamless layer change & minimal pixel cropping

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Paul, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

I am interested in getting a good, but not necessarily the best DVD player with seamless layer change and minimal pixel cropping. The price has to be below $250 and though I want a great picture from it I would be willing to accept a good one if it could do the other two. I would also like the DVD player to output a true component video signal since I've heard some simply process the S-Video signal for the component output.
    I've read much about the Panasonic RP82, but haven't heard conclusively about its layer change or pixel cropping. I read that all DVD players crop pixels, but some do it more than others. Anamorphic down conversion isn't a deciding factor since my TV has 16:9 squeeze [​IMG]. Also progressive scan isn't a factor since by the time I would need it I'll be buying a HD-DVD player. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

If you are interested in SACD, Sony has just brought out the 755 DVD player with SACD. The list price is $250. This is my second Sony player and have been overall pleased with their performance.

3. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

I'm not that interested in SACD, but would it be better than the Panasonic RP82? I looked at the Sony 715 DVD player which looked almost identical to the 755 except for no SACD and has the Precision Drive 2 which wasn't really explained. Also on the Sony DVD players how useful are the instant replay and the 40 disc resume features?