What's new

Good Inexpensive Speaker Cable? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well, one thing you haven't said is if your wire runs are inside the walls for your surrounds. In most locales, proper adherence to building codes is that the wire should be CL2/3 rated for in-wall runs. It's basically a fire thing that has to do with retarding the burning. So, if you want to change what you've got, you'll have to use the existing wire as a 'pull' for whatever wire you plan on using.

As far as what I think you ought to do, I'll simply present some ballpark numbers that have to do with attenuation losses assuming a 50 foot run for various gauges and then you can make the call based on what you feel is important. Now the attenuation losses are a function of the speaker's impedance. So what's given is what the attenuation loss would approximately be for a minimum impedance of 8 ohms, OK? If you want to 'estimate' the attenuation losses at say 4 ohms, double (8/4) the values given. The reason why I also presented a value at 20K has to do with the inclusion of skin effect, which while largely insignificant, should be taken into account for a more proper characterization.

[c]18 gauge[/c]
8 ohms @ DC: 0.7 dB
8 ohms @ 20K: 0.7 dB

[c]16 gauge[/c]
8 ohms @ DC: 0.4 dB
8 ohms @ 20K: 0.5 dB

[c]14 gauge[/c]
8 ohms @ DC: 0.3 dB
8 ohms @ 20K: 0.3 dB

[c]12 gauge[/c]
8 ohms @ DC: 0.2 dB
8 ohms @ 20K: 0.2 dB

[c]10 gauge[/c]
8 ohms @ DC: 0.1 dB
8 ohms @ 20K: 0.2 dB

As to what's audible, consider that our hearing sensitivity is greatest in the region of 1 ~ 5 kHz. Using test tones and headphones the limits of detectability are about 0.1-0.2 dB. The older you are generally the worse your discriminatory power. With music it's even worse. Depending upon your ambient noise level (headphones isolate you from the environment) it can be even worse.

Mike Coady

Agent
Thanks for the enlightening info. I went ahead and ordered 12 gauge even though it may or may not be necessary. By the way my wire runs to my surrounds are above a suspended ceiling and then down a paneled wall about 5ft that I ran myself so hopefully I can use the old wire to pull the new wire. Anyway I guess I'm all fixed up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks