Good Inexpensive DVD Player for interlaced output

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Rowe, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    I am going to be buying a 27" Sony Wega (kv27fs13) and an, as-of-yet undecided DVD player. Since the TV isn't 480p capable progressive output is useless to me.
    My first thought was the JVC fa90bk. I figured it would be a great player and I could keep it for a very long time because of the progressive output and DVD-audio capability. I desired the 7 disc ability to replace my current 5 disc changer. Then I found out it wasn't capable of 7 disc random play (which is how I play music almost exclusively). I decided that the price was too high on this player since it wouldn't replace my current changer.
    My next thought was to get the JVC 70bk which is a single disc version of the 90bk. Then I read about the interlaced output being of lesser quality than other players. Many people seemed to recommend the panasonic rp56 on this board as well as home theater spot.
    Today I checked out crutchfield.com and noticed a new panasonic ra-60k which has the same price tag as the rp56 but adds DVD-audio, bass management, and built in decoders. It doesn't have the bookmarking that the rp56 has. Here is a link to the crutchfield product specs
    All I want in a DVD player (which will be my first one BTW) is excellent video quality for interlaced output. Extra features like dvd-audio are nice but not necessary. I would pay more for a player that could replace my existing 5 disc changer though but cost is an important factor.
    Thanks in advance. I apologize for posting yet another "what dvd player should I buy" post but my searches didn't turn up much!
    Greg

2. Trent C

Trent C Agent

When I was looking for my first DVD player I settled on the Panasonic RV-31 because, like you, my TV is not progressive scan capable. The Panny has been very good for me so far. And the price was definately right -- under $260 Canadian.

If you are looking for a 5 disc changed, Panasonic makes one and I think the model is the RV-51.

Trent

3. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer 440 model -- single disc, under US$200 delivered.

Cannot recommend the inexpensive 5-disc 503 model due to excessive "disc spinning" noise generated by some (not all) discs while playing. Sound quality is nice and picture quality on my 60" RPTV is very good using only the s-video connection.

4. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

Y does Panny DVD Players don't have coax digital out?? That is so lame.

Joel

5. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

A couple of days ago Pioneer had the DV-333 on clearance for $99. Great price... well respected entry level machine.

6. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    Thanks everybody!

I am still not sure what I am going to buy. Luckily I still have a few weeks before I am going to force myself to decide. I think one of the lower end panasonics might find it's way into my living room though!

7. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

Hopefully someone can answer this better than I can, but how does the 54Mz speed proccessor help the interlaced output? My understanding is that it provides a better picture for interlaced output?? I believe a few mfgs are offering this speed.